Question Tell me your favorite way of preserving tomatoes

Erikjaak

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We had a really good weather this summer, so my greenhouses are filled with tomatoes, but I don't know what to do with them all. Any suggestions/recipes you can share?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I like cutting them up and adding them to my pasta's! And granddad loved having toasted bread, cream cheese and freshly sliced tomatoes on top.

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
If you have cherry tomatoes

Get 750g cherry tomatoes and put in dish suitable for oven
1 block cream cheese in middle
As much garlic as you like
1 onion, cut into 8ths
Drizzle with olive oil

Bake until tomatoes are roasted and cream cheese has colour on top, at about 180°c

Cook pasta of choice.

Optional - cook chicken breast thinly sliced.

When tomatoes are done, pop them all with a spatula and mix with the cream cheese by stirring. Add pasta and a bit of pasta to desired consistency. Add chicken if using.

Serve with liberal amounts of freshly cracked black pepper

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If you have cherry tomatoes

Get 750g cherry tomatoes and put in dish suitable for oven
1 block cream cheese in middle
As much garlic as you like
1 onion, cut into 8ths
Drizzle with olive oil

Bake until tomatoes are roasted and cream cheese has colour on top, at about 180°c

Cook pasta of choice.

Optional - cook chicken breast thinly sliced.

When tomatoes are done, pop them all with a spatula and mix with the cream cheese by stirring. Add pasta and a bit of pasta to desired consistency. Add chicken if using.

Serve with liberal amounts of freshly cracked black pepper
That sounds amazing! Honestly, I'd use this as a salsa recipe for with my doritos as well :D

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Decided to have this tonight after talking about it hahaha

Looks good! I'd probably add cucumber to that (absolute cucumber nut here :D)

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not a cuke fan unless pickled, what do cooked cukes taste like?
Cooked cukes taste very watery usually. If you like to eat them in a cooked meal I'd personally add them at the very end or even after serving. I've had someone add cucumber to a stirfry, maybe only having it in for a minute or less. It gave a warm, mildly crunchy and moist bite to the noodles, surprisingly very nice!

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I could easily use up a couple of pallet loads of tomatoes just to make enough pasta sauce to last my family through one year! Fresh tomato pieces into a blender/food processor with some chopped onion, heaps of garlic and oregano (or basil, or whatever your personal herb preference is), add in thick homemade tomato paste (that you made earlier with your tomatoes) and some spicy homemade tomato sauce (that you made earlier using up more of your tomatoes, for spicy add a little bit of chilli juice when making it), then put it in a large pot, bring to the boil then simmer covered for several hours stirring regularly until it gets a nice thick but not pasty pasta saucy consistency. Add some black pepper, dash of salt, taste test and adjust by adding more of whatever your personal taste buds think it needs until it tastes great (a lot of people like adding mustard, some prefer extra chilli, some like it more peppery, more herby, more garlicy, whatever, doesn't matter, you can even add pieces of veggies to it if you want to. There's no recipe rules to follow with this stuff, it's do as you please, experiment, have fun, there's not really any way you can mess this up so long as you don't forget about it and burn it). If you want to store it long term for future use, add in some lemon juice (to increase acidity) and a little bit of sugar (helps with preservation and counteracts the sour of the lemon) to the simmering pot, and can it just as you would do for jam.

There's a million uses for this sort of pasta sauce, but that's a different conversation.

KathrynJN

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If push comes to shove, you can always freeze them. I did that last year because I wasn't prepared for the 14 kilos I grew. I've put some in stews/casseroles, and also made up some of Mark's tomato sauce, all out of the frozen ones (). After putting them initially in hot water, the skins came off really easy.

Top Bottom