Stolen fruit!

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I came home today to find all of the Guava on the tree in my front yard all gone. Maybe a couple of dozen that weren't ripe yet. It wasn't birds or rats, there is no scraps, or half eaten ones left on the ground & they generally leave a bit of a mess.

I've seen a few people reaching over peoples fences to pick fruit around here when I've been walking the dog, but didn't expect anyone to take mine- the tree is barely visible from the street, behind a brick wall & well back from the road. They had to walk down my driveway & around a car that was almost totally blocking access to the area.

I'm surprised that my dog didn't jump the fence, as she is very protective around strangers.

I really dislike living in the city, people suck here!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That is very disappointing Andrew.
Were they the full sized guavas (like peach sized fruit)?
Or cherry guavas?
If cherry guavas, some birds, bush rats & possums will take them whole if they have babies to feed.

PS guavas are very constipating!

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
They were full size. I had been just picking a few a day as they ripened.

It was the end of the season for the Guava, so I guess it could have been worse & the Loquat tree in the backyard has recently flowered, so it won't be too long before I have fruit again.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love loquats especially if they are sweet & juicy.

Give your tree a heap of potassium (K). Ash from a wood burning heater if you or a friend has one is good & free.
Sprinkle around a good amount & rake the ash well into the grass under the tree but don't water for a few days until the soil microbes have had a chance to begin turning the ash to fertilizer.
If it gets wet too soon it will gas off & the fertilizer component will be wasted.

Adding extra K will cause the fruit to be bigger, sweeter & juicier.
Ash is usually added & dug in as an amendment to soil at fallowing time, but takes a year to break down into a usable state.
Therefore it doesn't show results until the following season's fruit.
However if you rake it into the grass under the tree, the soil is broken a little & the grass makes it slightly damp so the microbes get to work straight away.
Or into the top layer of soil under the mulch then replace the mulch over it.
The fallowing, followed by the growing time periods are short circuited completely.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gee that sucks if people have taken them. Put up some signs saying “Smile you are on camera” We have put a few signs up around our place. Maybe also a Dog on guard duty sign too. Oh and a motion activate sprayer when you go out

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gee that sucks if people have taken them. Put up some signs saying “Smile you are on camera” We have put a few signs up around our place. Maybe also a Dog on guard duty sign too. Oh and a motion activate sprayer when you go out

lol Letsgo, I can just see that sprayer going off at all hours as each new person leans over the fence to get a free feed!

And then Andrew forgets it is set & walks outside in the morning & cops a spray in the face! :D

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
:D:D very funny Mark. But be careful what you wish for!

Kris and Family

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
was it actually behind your fence? perhaps adding a lock to the gate as well as the "on camera" warning?

Shannon Robinson

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
We are also in a city setting. One neighbor has kids who seem to have no idea what property lines are. They come pick our stuff when they want in the front yard. It’s so rude. We try not to plant anything we don’t want to lose in the front, or use varieties that don’t look ripe, ie white peaches, white pomegranate and such. It mostly works. I gave up with the roses they constantly picked and just took them out. It was too water intensive to supply them with free flowers everyday.

Top Bottom