Stockpiling.

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
plus figuring out all the micro climates on my property ... some are full on like a rain forest and others like really hot. So anything that can grown year round in those areas is good. or just move some of my winter crops to the more shaded areas in summer and see how they do.

Yes!! My property is the same way! I have one ridge that is fantastic for citrus, but the rest of the property is "meh" for it. I find myself using my house sides as guides for what to grow. Shade-loving, frost-intolerant plants along the north side. Sun worshippers on the southeast. So far, nothing can withstand the full sun radiation blast on the southwest side.

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes!! My property is the same way! I have one ridge that is fantastic for citrus, but the rest of the property is "meh" for it. I find myself using my house sides as guides for what to grow. Shade-loving, frost-intolerant plants along the north side. Sun worshippers on the southeast. So far, nothing can withstand the full sun radiation blast on the southwest side.

hmmm... might do to try to grow some to provide some shade? or baby some until they can provide some shade and a micro-climate ... I know that there are some that like it ... but hey are not food crops... White sage for e.g. love hot sun and hardly any water.

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have tried a few things back there, but between the heat, them being "out of sight, out of mind," and in the traffic flow of the dogs, it is pretty much a death sentence. I am thinking I might eventually put a tree back there with a wire cage around it at first, and try to nurture just a nice shady area for the dogs to hang. (They have plenty of other nice shady areas, but there is always room for more.)

RnR

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Even with a small urban yard I've noticed micro climates. There is an unidentified "junk" tree that was there when we first moved in. Cut the thing back to a stump because it is right up against the house but it grew back the next spring. Now I cut it back every fall for more sun in winter and let it grow every spring for summer shade in the dog days. Finally able to use that 8 sq foot of yard for food crops.... there's also under porch (no sun ever), under stairs (partial sun through slats), sidewalk exposed to dog stops (toxin tolerant only), next to the air conditioner (swap land)... so many worlds in a tiny space....

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Even with a small urban yard I've noticed micro climates. There is an unidentified "junk" tree that was there when we first moved in. Cut the thing back to a stump because it is right up against the house but it grew back the next spring. Now I cut it back every fall for more sun in winter and let it grow every spring for summer shade in the dog days. Finally able to use that 8 sq foot of yard for food crops.... there's also under porch (no sun ever), under stairs (partial sun through slats), sidewalk exposed to dog stops (toxin tolerant only), next to the air conditioner (swap land)... so many worlds in a tiny space....

Well under the porch .. have you thought of Mushrooms? as well as under the stairs? ... and sometimes the mirco climes can be highly varied from season to season. I plant on using some of mine to grow winter crops during summer.

RnR

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well under the porch .. have you thought of Mushrooms? as well as under the stairs? ... and sometimes the mirco climes can be highly varied from season to season. I plant on using some of mine to grow winter crops during summer.
I have tried mushrooms under the stairs but wasn't successful. Have to do more research on specific species and try again now that I have a better feel for our seasons. Still very much in the learning stages of getting a productive garden going in an urban beach zone

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Added to my stockpile by pulling four extra dill plants out of a hydroponic set-up and planting them into regular pots. All four seem to be doing well (been a few days now). Planted 50 saffron crocus bulbs yesterday into a new 48" x 48" planter box that I built (with a lot of assistance from a friend) out of scrap.

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have tried mushrooms under the stairs but wasn't successful. Have to do more research on specific species and try again now that I have a better feel for our seasons. Still very much in the learning stages of getting a productive garden going in an urban beach zone

ah the salt content in the air might be a thing

Top Bottom