"Stiller" vertical split designed collapse resistant brood box for native bees

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Mark, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's a video about the "Stiller" vertical split designed collapse resistant brood box for native bees used for Carbonaria species. This box can be split vertically whereas most native bee hives are split horizontally by pulling the top half off the bottom.

The advantages of the vertical split brood box (as demonstrated) is a more targeted even split of the brood, less honey spill, and greater collapse resistance overall.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    How's your hives going Mark?

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah all 10 have done well and have been split at least once now if I can recall correctly.

They are such low maintenance garden pollinators to keep in the backyard. It's nice to see them hovering around the plants they're a wonderful insect.

The hives are holding up nicely and get opened for checking about every 3 months so far so good!

4. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Are you keeping the extra split hives at your property aswell, or is Kevin taking them away?

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kevin is having trouble keeping up with demand (I mean that in a good way) - I he just got an order in for 10 hives the other day from one buyer and bee hives can only grow so fast... He's selling them at a premium price now 500+, but this isn't a business for him it's more of a hobby that makes money.

For the time being, my uncle isn't expanding the hives here on our property as he has other locations closer to him but he might in the future - we have the room down the back.

6. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I saw his advert on Gumtree. Yeap... and he can't sell too many or he reduces his base then he's back to square one.