Steel Kit homes

Jessica A

Premium Member
GOLD
Hi Guys

I would like to know thoughts on Steel Kit Homes. Are Steel Kit homes really more affordable when you include Land, Builder and all the other things you need shower ect? I would love to hear peoples experiences :) Thank you

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I haven't personally had much to do with steel kit homes - I assume you mean the framework is all steel as opposed to wood. I have heard (and I don't know if this is true) that steel frame homes can be a little noisy... like creaky. And the other thing I wonder is how cheaper a steel frame is than a wood one because I'd imagine pine is the cheapest material?

Of course, there's no chance of your home being eaten by termites! This would have to save some money in termite treatments over the longer term.

I'm spending Xmas Day with my cousin in Toowoomba (her hubby's an electrician) and they moved into their new home this year which is basically a big shed they built for a fraction of the cost of a standard home. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it's very nice and they're extremely happy with the outcome and costs overall.

Guys here on SSC like @stevo @Steve @Tim C would have a better idea than me though... I'm a bit of a hack at building :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I wish I could contribute, but I don't know anything about steel kit homes, I only do dodgy shacks :blush:

As Mark suggested, I guess if you're in bushland and termite risk is high then it could be good.

Steve might have an idea as he's building a house at the moment?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Well I guess there's a few variables to consider before you could put a benefit analysis on it.
You mentioned kit home which to me has a couple of points. Will you employ a builder to construct it for you, or will you do it yourself? Do you have an owner/builder ticket? Do you have the skills, cashflow, tools, knowledge, time off work, friends to help and the list goes on.
I'd be inclined to say that just about any kit home that you build yourself would be cheaper but the trade off is that you need to organise everything else (council approvals, electrician, plumber etc) and you generally don't factor in the cost of your labour which will equate to much more than a professional that builds houses every day.

The only 'kit' thing I've ever built was a wooden surfboard which turned out awesome but I spent a bit on tools get get me to the point where I could complete the project. In the end it was heaps cheaper than a bought one and the satisfaction was enormous, and still is. The satisfaction is not something you can put a price on IMO.

I did look at some websites for kit homes when I started the search for a builder and I saw some really good designs and companies that make awesome kits. In the end I don't have enough of the points I mentioned above that would warrant me taking on a project like that. Plus, I doubt the wife would have been impressed with me taking time off work to take on a kit home.

So no easy answer really but some food for thought perhaps.....

Cheers,
Steve

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
I'd say steel in the termite areas, but wood near the beach. Steer clear of flammable claddings and insulation, and pay attention to detail sealing wall spaces, so animals and insects can't get in there to nest.

Top Bottom