Start of the New Year Competition!

Win PayPal CASH or a Booktopia voucher to the value of $50 AU

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Competition Time! WIN $50 in PayPal CASH or a Booktopia voucher of the same value! The prize will be emailed direct to your inbox:twothumbsup:

SSC values its members support and a knowledge based online community like ours can only survive if members are prepared to share their knowledge and interact with each other.

Therefore, to give something back to our community, reward effort, and just for fun, we are announcing this new competition open to Premium Member (GOLD).

To enter all you have to do is be logged in and answer our knowledge based question.

The winner will be drawn at random upon closing from the pool of correct answers using our forum software.

Only Premium Members with a GOLD banner will be permitted to view the question or enter this competition (more about GOLD here).

Membership on SSC is completely free so join us now.

Good Luck ;)

P.S Just for info: Revenue raised on SSC through advertising and affiliates helps to pay for competition prizes. We prefer to run competitions for our members rather than use this money to promote our websites via paid advertising.

2. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Congratulations @Steve for winning our first competition of the year! :popcork: You will be contacted via Personal Conversation to collect your winnings :cheers:

The Question was: Which Dragon Fruit variety has thorns on its fruit?
    The correct answer was: Yellow Dragon Fruit

Thanks to all Premium Gold members for entering.

May I also take this opportunity to say to our visitors if you have been thinking about joining our self-sufficient community I encourage you to sign up no matter where you live in the world - it's free! Together we can grow this online membership and use it to share information, creativity, friendships, run fun competitions for prizes, and more, about all things self-sufficient.

Cheers :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Wow, awesome!
    What an honour to win your first comp of the year.
    Having never even tasted a dragon fruit (the subject of the competition) I should probably make the effort now seeing it cashed-out $50 for me.

Thanks Mark.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Show us photos of you enjoying it too, Steve! :D
    Congrats.

5. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

So, true to my word I made the effort, and investment, to get my hands on a dragon fruit.
    I say investment as they aren't the cheapest fruit in the trolley, around $12 per kilo which equates to around $3-$5 per fruit.
    Anyway, I saved up my pennies and made the purchase.
    I found it very refreshing and close to a kiwi fruit cross with something I can't put my finger on. Not quite as flavourful as a kiwi but that may be because it was from Woolworths and may have sat on the shelf for months.
    In the end I really liked it and might need to look at making some room for a couple of plants at my new house.
    IMG_8970sml.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Good one Steve! I really like them too and I've actually grown to appreciate the taste more over the years but I have to say I've had dragon fruit from Woolies that have been very bland compared to our homegrown ones - and I'm not just being biased either.

It doesn't take up much room to have a plant or several in the backyard and since they're a climber it's a pretty easy plant to control. Go for it!

7. Mark Healey

Mark Healey Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm not sure which variety you're growing, but if you haven't grown the red variety- there are many types within the red flesh type of course- then I can strongly recommend that you try and get your hands on some cuttings. They are extremely sweet, if you're looking for a sweet fruit of course.
    The best type of manure would be cow, applied three times a year- a month prior to fruit season, 6 weeks before the end of the fruit season, and a mid off season application.
    A bland taste can also be associated with the plants having been fed a chemical feed, and not organic- and also if the plants have been force grown with artificial lighting to promote fruit in the off season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I do have a red fleshed variety and I agree it does taste great.

Most of my vines are yellow though and we have never had a bland fruit.

I'm surprised at how fast the red variety fruit developed basically within weeks! And if they weren't picked quickly they soon started splitting whereas the yellow variety takes much longer to ripen and then sits on the vine safely for ages after ripening - I've never seen them split either.

9. Mark Healey

Mark Healey Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Fantastic photo- I can almost taste them.
    The red variety do ripen quickly- they need to be picked 33-35 days (depending upon climate) after flowering- hopefully this will then help them avoid splitting.
    Wasn't sure on your variety, but was referring to the white type in the photo, which are normally quite bland.

10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes... now you mentioned it, I once purchased a red one with white flesh and it was awfully bland - I couldn't even get through it.

The red dragon fruit in the picture tasted as good as it looked - very sweet and tasty :)