Spam posts

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by Letsgokate, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We seem to be getting a few spam posts, this last week. Be good if there was a way to automatically delete their silly posts. I honestly don't get why people do this, what a waste of time. Go away people

2. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    But are you not interested in Ukrainian dating?

I'm assuming they are bots rather than actual people. If that's the case, then making signing up more difficult should weed them out. Maybe using captcha rather than a plain text verification question.

You can report the post, but if Mark isn't on everyday to see it, then they are just going to sit there until he deletes them.

I've used sites previously that will hide a post if x number of people report it, not sure if that is an option here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ummm NO

Thanks for the tip on reporting them. I reported all 4 spam posts. Good idea with making signing up more difficult, to weed out the bots. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The first one has been there over 2wks & since Mark has been so busy I didn't report it.
    But during this last week these spam posts proliferated.
    I just stayed away from the site incase of being infected.

5. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think the fact that Mark is so busy is even more reason for us to report any spam posts as that maybe the only way he knows about them.

You will not get infected by visiting the SSC site, the site is not infected, there are just spam posts as long as you DO NOT click on any links in the spam posts you will be fine. Certainly don’t click on any links in emails you are not sure off.

Also by staying away from the site the spam posters win. We don’t want this great forum to be over run by spam posts resulsting in less genuine posts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sorry guys!

I've disinfected those spammers now...

Yes I'm really busy (good busy) I love this forum but have been taken away from it due to my growing YouTube and other content creation commitments. However, I'm working on ways to create more time here and with Nina given notice of her redundancy from FIFO in the West she'll soon free me up a little more from the homedad scene whilst she hunts for work (good and bad news I suppose).

Anyway, would some (or all) of you like to become moderators of our forum? Whereby you at least have the power to delete spam?

Let me know and I'll make it happen... :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Damn, i missed that one!

@Mark , How about Nina contributes to your business, or create her own similar business? :idea:

.... maybe Mark doesn't want that .. hahah

Re the forum, I like forums. I think they're very good at organising information, but i think they're a bit old school and now the majority of people are using facebook, youtube, instagram to interact. A lot of people don't venture off those platforms at all.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've actually been thinking the same thing and was thinking maybe Mark could start a facebook group :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Groups and clubs are funny things. I guess we're all in a few Facebook groups? Gardening people seem pretty nice and mature. Quite a few other groups i'm in have regular debates and upset or offend people.

10. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think when someone sets up a group some guidelines about how to behave in groups, like play nice etc Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean everyone shares the same view so you shouldn't stuff it down everyone's throat. I'm in a few groups and for the most part people are great. In a group you share the same interests so on that level you can get on.

I think it's great to have some place that people can come and ask questions, share their successes, share the same interest etc like this forum. As you said forum's are a little old hat these days so I guess we all need to move with the times.

The only issue I have swapping from a forum style to facebook is in facebook people can be too brief and abbreviate everything. On a forum I think there is more discussion and people seem to write longer and more detailed posts.

There is also a plus for that though as the posts aren't as long to read if you are short on time. :) You can give a quick reply or ask a quick question on the spot where on a forum you might say I'll get back to that but never too. I guess facebook is more instant.

So pros and cons to both.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I stay well away from facebook myself.

It's sad that forums seem to be a thing of the past, I prefer them over the current social media options, they are much better organized & I enjoy the extra details that you find in forum posts.

I did quite a bit of searching for an active one that aligned with my interests before joining here, but most seem to be ghost towns now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think this forum is awesome it’s a shame Facebook and the like have taken away from forums like this. I know lots of people would avoid Facebook.

I think there is a place for both.

We just all need to make sure we actively participate in this forum to make sure it keeps on going for a long time to come :)

13. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yep, I'm with Andrew on this one. I don't do facebook at all full stop.

The information gets lost because it is not ordered like it is here on this forum.

Its impossible to have a thread that people can follow to find pertinent info without getting side tracked into some other stuff.

As Letsgo said people write longer posts on forums because they can! simple.

Brief posts full of abbreviated words with no punctuation allows people to make incorrect assumptions as to what the writer was intending.

Personally I cant think of any worse way to waste my time.

Apart from that, fb is now one of the most insecure internet places to be.
    Your personal info is not private no matter what 'they' say or how it is tied up.
    Every word written is used against both the writer & the reader in future internet encounters in the form of advertising & personal details harvesting .

I go so far as to say that people who follow fb are being brainwashed & channelled into specific MO's to suit the power mongers.

I'll get off my soap box now! :feedchooks:

• Like Like x 1
  14. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I agree with all of above. I think there's a lot of people that think the "internet" is Facebook and don't look outside it. I think that's the intention of Facebook. Facebook has created it's own world where everything is there and people wouldn't understand that there's forums or resource websites. They say they want to connect everyone and bring the world together, but as long as you just use Facebook, as they don't want you to look outside it.

As said, i really like forums too, been on quite a few over the years. I also visit forums now, like 4wd and bike forums and they're ghost towns as Andrew said and after a while they close because no one wants to pay for it any more.

15. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The only thing better than a date with hot Ukrainian lady is discovering you're vaguely related to a stinking rich Nigerian family who wants to put all their money in your account. Seriously I could be a billionaire if I'd gotten 'round to giving them my bank details!
    This is the only forum I use...I have a couple of facebook groups, but it's mostly just for keeping in touch with friends as it's too hard to organise the info into something that's searchable. (Or maybe I'm fb illiterate). I figure if you're worried someone could use your posts against you, or could collect sensitive info about you, you prob should have a rethink about what you're actually posting. But the recent case again Zuckerberg was quite concerning I guess and highlights a certain attitude of "all care, no responsibility" on facebook's part.
    I'm all for keeping the forum...ifMark has the energy to keep it going!

• Like Like x 2
  16. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oskar, I have an great investment opportunity for you, since you missed out on that :smug:

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    oh Stevo, you're so funny..... & gracious with your opportunity offer to Oskar!
    :goodluck::hysterical:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I promise your email is safe here and won't be sold on :D

Yes, I do understand the Facebook "thing" it's so convenient and there are more people etc - but, we can better control who joins here and I think it's nice to get away from the Facebook feed and back to an organised thread that's not over complicated.

Forums are not dying - they're evolving... Reddit is a great example and it shows that people are still keen to read and participate/share info/opinion in forums over the internet.

Facebook is not a forum it's a social media site built around an Ad platform. As a creator/business on FB I'm constantly getting hassled by them to pay money for my posts to get read by more of my supporters etc...

Personally, I've never been keen on FB or Twitter - I do like YouTube and forums though and I don't mind Instagram for eye candy.