Some new lay-dies

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Being down to 2 chooks and a growing need for more eggs we welcomed some new pullets this morning. Well I did, one of my existing chooks is currently doing the rounds ensuring she stays on top of the pecking order.

2 each of Barter Brown/Black/White

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Eggs are flying thick and fast now. Another dozen between the first egg and the weekend. 11 just over the weekend, 4 today.

Eggs-cellent!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Eggs are flying thick and fast now. Another dozen between the first egg and the weekend. 11 just over the weekend, 4 today.

Eggs-cellent!
Haha amazing! I remember back when we had chickens we had more than we needed! And you'll never get them any fresher.

Rachel

Premium Member
Nice. I'm currently getting about 4 eggs a day from my 7 layers, unless they are laying somewhere else! What do you have in the nesting boxes? I assume that's pine shavings on the floor?

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Nice. I'm currently getting about 4 eggs a day from my 7 layers, unless they are laying somewhere else! What do you have in the nesting boxes? I assume that's pine shavings on the floor?

Yeah I just use dust extracted wood shavings (Superior Shavings specifically). Had a bad run with mites a few years back and swapped over from straw to the shavings. Little bit more expensive, last longer, less smell, great for the compost. I use it in the nesting box as well. I want to try rice hulls but the gap between the concrete and steel c section is a bit wide to keep them from spreadsheet everywhere

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Our hens are also laying well, surprisingly! It's winter here and they usually slow down considerably and coming into winter they did slow down a lot but now they've gone bum nut crazy again - scrambled eggs for dinner tonight :)

Top Bottom