Solar Roads

Discussion in 'Energy' started by stevo, May 23, 2014.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I saw this somewhere recently, and while I was just doing my Friday night youtube session I saw these videos explaining it a bit more. The product is a solar panel that is used as a road surface. It creates electricity, is pressure sensitive, contains a heat pad, has LED lights, etc etc. Have a look at the video for more info. It's quite an entertaining video.

Here's the similar original video but has more comments under the video if you open it on youtube

Watching the first video, I started out thinking it might be a good idea, then I thought it looked a bit suspect like it could be some shonky operators trying to get money, hoax or scam, and I finished up thinking that it may not be such a great idea. I like the idea but I don't think it's really practical and affordable. It'd just cost too much to maintain and technology is changing all the time so you'd have to upgrade them all the time?

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The first video has been removed by the user?

If this concept and footage is actually true I could see it initially being adopted by companies and govt as a way to power remote locations like mining compounds or military installations - it's basically smart paving and making the most out of a large surface area which historically is just used for foot and vehicle traffic it certainly makes sense to multi task a roadway. Many military bases use paving extensively throughout for heavy vehicle and armoured compounds etc and the energy costs for these bases are very high so using a paved compound to power... say, security lights would be a big savings in itself.

I imagine the costs of such a thing like a solar road is way too prohibitive ATM but as solar tech and materials come down in price and conventional energy gets scarce and even more expensive, solar will eventually take over I reckon. Once the world focuses on solar energy as a way to save money and storage of this energy improves we'll see the world change dramatically - I honestly believe that.

It's a very interesting find Stevo true or not it's still a great and logical concept in my view!