Question Size of beds?

growingsoil

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am building some raised beds out of concrete blocks, due to lumber being so costly, and I would like your input on ease of use. Would you stay with a 4X7 foot bed or go with a 4X16 foot bed? I am stacking 3 building blocks high with 4 inch cap to bring to 28 inches high to sit on edge and work. To be used for veggies next year.
Size of beds?
Size of beds?
They will be used for veggies growing next year.

I have shorter beds and longer beds. I'm fine with either but it does get to be a pain in the rump to walk around the big bed constantly when you forget something. I think out of the choice of 3 shorter beds or 1 longer bed I'd go 2 medium beds - not losing as much planting space but not being inconvenienced with no walking space.

My advice on size is this: Can you comfortably reach the centre of it without having to climb in? If so, it's the right width and height. Length is only limited to space available and personal preferences like how far you're willing to walk to get around to the other side of it. If you can't comfortably reach the centre of the garden bed, you may regret it later when you find yourself needing to dig up, pick or plant something in the middle of the garden bed without crushing whatever you're growing on the outer edges of it.

My advice on size is this: Can you comfortably reach the centre of it without having to climb in? If so, it's the right width and height. Length is only limited to space available and personal preferences like how far you're willing to walk to get around to the other side of it. If you can't comfortably reach the centre of the garden bed, you may regret it later when you find yourself needing to dig up, pick or plant something in the middle of the garden bed without crushing whatever you're growing on the outer edges of it.

This. Mark even did a video on it (I think it was part of biggest mistakes but I could be wrong). You definitely want it the right height too. I've got rectangular and L-shaped beds purchased ready-made and, if I'm honest, I prefer the L-shaped as I can reach everything (I have to walk around the rectangular). I've arranged my beds to maximise my reach and it works for me.

And, looking at your garden, is there any particular reason you've got the three beds in a line (I'm thinking aspect/wind)? If not, putting the three together will further reduce how far you have to walk around them (I've also noted the tree).

I find mixing things up in the garden looks really pleasing. I'm not one for straight lines :D

Back
Top Bottom