SelfSufficiant Gardenventure in eastern Germany

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We got our new barbecue/grill today. Actually it's an old one, second hand. But hey, it was for free... almost, as we had to drive 30 min there to get it... but that kind of stuff costs around 300€ so 1h drive in total ist still much cheaper πŸ˜…πŸ˜
We'll have to kit some of the parts because they broke but that will still be an easy fix. I still need to prep the area where I want to put that thing, like surface flattening, paving... but tgat had to wait, as we currently have a new wave if frost. Not too cold, but still...
IMG-20230121-WA0004.jpeg
Screenshot_20230121-140903_Kleinanzeigen.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'd love me one, especially if free! So lucky 😍

I think I'd definitely throw my back out though - but I love fires and I enjoy learning new things. Maybe I'll learn how to make one someday - that seems pretty cool. I wonder what I'd need... so inspiring :D

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

I think I'd definitely throw my back out though - but I love fires and I enjoy learning new things. Maybe I'll learn how to make one someday - that seems pretty cool. I wonder what I'd need... so inspiring :D
I couldn't have handled 3/5 part of it. My fiancΓ© had help from a strong friend. But I still had to help lifting the most bottom part as it was just too havy even for the two of them alone πŸ˜… but apart from that I was pretty useless with the lifting part. But from us three I'm the only one that is allowed and has actually learned to drive with a trailer😁 so that was my part then

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha, team effort! Love that.
Yeah for sure looks heavy, and you don't want to accidentally drop it either. It's not very... drop proof, so to say.
Would absolutely love to see updates on it in the future; either when you fully set it up, or when you decide to fire it up

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The New Appartements are now available πŸ₯°πŸ˜ looking forward for the new owners in the upcoming season. 😍 had to alter the second one a bit, to better fit into the rose climbing structure. It now has two Appartements, not sure if both will be used bit it was an easy way of securing it that way. So, if just one gets used it's still a win πŸ† πŸ€—

IMG-20230122-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20230122-WA0004.jpeg

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello everyone!
We are still mid-winter. Temperatures are between -6 and +6 Β°C and its mostly rainy/gray with the occasional sunbeam and fleck of blue sky. I've been working on some beds and the compost had to be turned... in fact our 4 compost bins hadn't been filled correctly. Too much dry grass in one of them which created a beautiful home for some shrews. Cute little things πŸ˜πŸ€ but they had to move anyway... and after digging away for half an hour I had those 4 replaced with 2 full to the brim now correctly working composts.
IMG-20230128-WA0028.jpeg

There's already live lurking around: the Black currants the one very early blueberry and two of our red climbing roses (ones with 15 cm flowers😍) have already produced new sets of leaves and swelling buds.
IMG-20230127-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20230127-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20230127-WA0017.jpeg

And I've been working on the tomato beds right next to the greenhouses. I want them to give some natural shading to the greenhouses as the can get too hot during summer even with extensive use of shade cloth and keeping doors always open. And if you don't have sturdy enough trees... just put the nesting boxes on top of poles 😁πŸ₯°
IMG-20230128-WA0021.jpeg
20230128_094432.jpg
20230128_094445.jpg

Oh and if you wonder about the time of me posting this... it's 1 am and I am currently wide awake after falling in bed at 8pm with my daughter πŸ˜…πŸ™ˆ trying to catch some more sleep now. πŸ‘‹

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks like both you and nature herself are working equally hard to get growing again. Look at those little buds 😍

Good catch on the compost. I don't think I'd recognise issues myself. Perhaps because I've never made compost in the past. I am interested in it, but I doubt that starting it whilst we struggle with mice around the property is a good idea. They enjoy the house a little too much and I don't want them inside populating.

Smart thinking on the greenhouses! In The Netherlands greenhouses sometimes get sprayed with a calcium mixture to whitewash the windows, to reflect some sun. It usually washes away over a couple months when either it gets re-applied or the heat has passed. I've seen them do it with a simple spray tank. On top of that it's a non-chemical solution (when it's too big or in a bad location to grow shade crops), that degrades into nutrients for the soil.
Or well, at least a local greenhouse did that.

Haha I hear you. I tend to go to bed rather late too (ugh, insomnia). Sleep well!

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good day everyone! (Again🀣😏)

Now onto my seedlings 🌱 πŸ₯°πŸ˜πŸ’ͺ
At our north facing window I've put the stuff that's already germinated and /or needs to stand cooler. Kids not quite using her room just yet, so I use itπŸ˜…
20230131_102228.jpg

The radiator is mostly off and room temperature is mostly around 17Β°C. I've stated two carrot varieties that I will carefully transplant into our greenhouse next week or so. And yes, they don't like it, but it can be done if carefully enough.
20230131_102207.jpg

Then there is the last plant left, that actually bloomed last summer, from the overwintering process. A Jalapeno Early (the real πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ one), didn't think it would get that hot...
20230131_102220.jpg

Then there are the "normal" Peperoni and pointed Paprika as well as the bell peppers/ bell Paprika
20230131_102244.jpg
20230131_102257.jpg

And already separated into their own little homes are the more special varieties like, filius blue, Longhorn XXL, mini Thai, Cayenne, habanero sweet and habanero Chocolate. Moat of them showing already their first true set of leaves.
20230131_102343.jpg
20230131_102404.jpg

Then I've started some Cale varieties (5 in total) and some leek with some onions that I will put into the garden next week with the carrots.
20230131_102421.jpg
20230131_102425.jpg

Next is our south facing window which I use for germination. It gets quite warm as/if the sun shows itself and otherwise we use the radiator there, cause we all hate sleeping in a cold room πŸ₯ΆπŸ˜… my daughter really hates the covers right now, even wakes up if I put one on top of her, only accepts it if I put my arm around her with itπŸ™ˆ
20230131_102957.jpg
20230131_103003.jpg

From right to left there are physalis and eggplants (literally eggtrees- fruit is white and chicken egg sized). The bigger plants are chili that germinated in September.
20230131_102634.jpg
20230131_102734.jpg
20230131_102753.jpg

Then I've planted 4 mild chili varieties, have to look up the names again: Sweet pickle, Spiral, Saraga Giant sweet chocolate, Criolla de Cocina

20230131_102811.jpg

And next are finally my tomatoes πŸ… 😍πŸ₯°πŸ˜
14+1 varieties that got sown yesterday.
First one is the "Post office spoonful" a wild cherry type tomato.
20230131_102825.jpg

Second is the big stuff with 14 varieties: Cocktail orange oval, fleshtomato, Deko, Sacher, Marmande, Oxheart 2, Ananas (pineapple), Tschernij Prince, golden Queen, Cocktail tiger, Zuckertraube (sugargrapes), Roma VF, Moneymaker, RosΓ©-tomato
20230131_102839.jpg

Last edited:

SamfromWA

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Good day everyone! (Again🀣😏)

Now onto my seedlings 🌱 πŸ₯°πŸ˜πŸ’ͺ
At our north facing window I've put the stuff that's already germinated and /or needs to stand cooler. Kids not quite using her room just yet, so I use itπŸ˜…
View attachment 8786
The radiator is mostly off and room temperature is mostly around 17Β°C. I've stated two carrot varieties that I will carefully transplant into our greenhouse next week or so. And yes, they don't like it, but it can be done if carefully enough.
View attachment 8787
Then there is the last plant left, that actually bloomed last summer, from the overwintering process. A Jalapeno Early (the real πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ one), didn't think it would get that hot...
View attachment 8788
Then there are the "normal" Peperoni and pointed Paprika as well as the bell peppers/ bell Paprika
View attachment 8789 View attachment 8790
And already separated into their own little homes are the more special varieties like, filius blue, Longhorn XXL, mini Thai, Cayenne, habanero sweet and habanero Chocolate. Moat of them showing already their first true set of leaves.
View attachment 8791 View attachment 8792
Then I've started some Cale varieties (5 in total) and some leek with some onions that I will put into the garden next week with the carrots.
View attachment 8793 View attachment 8794
Next is our south facing window which I use for germination. It gets quite warm as/if the sun shows itself and otherwise we use the radiator there, cause we all hate sleeping in a cold room πŸ₯ΆπŸ˜… my daughter really hates the covers right now, even wakes up if I put one on top of her, only accepts it if I put my arm around her with itπŸ™ˆ
View attachment 8795 View attachment 8796
From right to left there are physalis and eggplants (literally eggtrees- fruit is white and chicken egg sized). The bigger plants are chili that germinated in September.
View attachment 8797 View attachment 8798 View attachment 8799
Then I've planted 4 mild chili varieties, have to look up the names again: Sweet pickle, Spiral, Saraga Giant sweet chocolate, Criolla de Cocina

View attachment 8800
View attachment 8801
Second is the big stuff with 14 varieties: Cocktail orange oval, fleshtomato, Deko, Sacher, Marmande, Oxheart 2, Ananas (pineapple), Tschernij Prince, golden Queen, Cocktail tiger, Zuckertraube (sugargrapes), Roma VF, Moneymaker, RosΓ©-tomato
View attachment 8802
Looking good Lunai, you're very busy, i don't know how you have to time to make so many good posts. Hopefully they all do well, i'm sure they will certainly make your cooking an adventure. I'm trying some true potato seedlings here, just away from home so i'm hoping they will still be alive when i get back.

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looking good Lunai, you're very busy, i don't know how you have to time to make so many good posts. Hopefully they all do well, i'm sure they will certainly make your cooking an adventure. I'm trying some true potato seedlings here, just away from home so i'm hoping they will still be alive when i get back.
πŸ₯° 🀣I just don't have any other hobbies πŸ˜…πŸ€£ I would do some muay thai at our local gym, but I rather do the garden If I have to choose between the two.

I have started to work again just yesterday ( 01.feb.2023) at one of our local supermarkets. And I'm now working 35h/week. Not that much but still have a one year old at home and the garden...
Said that I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on posts and stuff, but it should work out somehow. I guess we'll just wait and see how everything works out.
--

View attachment 8800
View attachment 8801
View attachment 8802

Update: The extra 4 mild peperoni i've planted later than the rest have also started to sprout. 😍πŸ₯° yay! So the color and flavour for our chilipowder is saved (And it may not be as hot...)πŸ˜…
Physalis also have sprouted, haven't seen the Tomatoes yet.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha fair, fair. And gardening can be both a physical and mental bonus. Physical because of the digging and building some do, and mental because well, gardening :p

That's awesome! And 35 hours is pretty average in my opinion. I think most people do around 40hr weeks, so especially with a little one... that's plenty ;)
I hope you enjoy the new job!

Sweet! Love that.
I may have accidentally forgotten to water my young seedlings and I think I can't revive them at this stage, whoops.

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good day everyone!

Today was my day off at work, so of course I had to go to the garden.l

Well, after cycling my daughter 10 minutes to the nursery with heavy sideway winds. Then cycling 2km straight headwind to the nearest hardwarestore (15 minutes) to get some stuff. And finally was able to cycle with tailwind 4km to the garden (5 minutes) πŸ˜ͺπŸ₯΅
Weather forecast says: 7Β°C, wind 30km/h with gusts over 65 km/h πŸ˜±πŸŒ¬πŸ’¨πŸ’¨

At the farden I planted 3 waterplants πŸ₯Ά all reed mace (bulrush). On the next Pic on the opposite site of the pond. My hope is, that they will shade the pond out a bit more in the upcoming summer. Because it always gets the direct sun from rise until 2h before set...πŸ™ˆ and with that there is always way too much algae in that pond...
IMG-20230203-WA0005.jpeg

Then I planted some bulbs that will (hopefully, as I'm a bit late for them) start to flower in early March until may-juli
20230203_110159.jpg
20230203_112930.jpg

Then I had to replant some of the kale from the greenhouse in preparation of getting that empty to start some early carrots and salad. So, out they went.
20230203_123100.jpg

And then happened, what the forecast didn't say... heavy rain started and didn't stop for the next 3 hours πŸ™ˆπŸ˜±πŸ˜­ well.... I was still with my bike at the garden and had to cycle back home getting a free albeit very cold πŸ₯Ά shower 🚿 πŸ™ƒ

Last Pic shows the waterlflow from our roof into the rainbarrel as it started out... got heavier as it continued πŸ˜… 🫣😬
IMG-20230203-WA0001.jpeg

Last edited:

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Loving the updates, kepe 'em coming 😍

Sometimes I miss riding my bicycle. I honestly feel like it's super dangerous to in Australia. Or at least where I live. I would share the same road as trucks here on the highway that I live on 😨
Too bad about the wind and rain though!

Fingers crossed your bulbs flower as hoped 🀞

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

Clay. That Aussie guy who runs the Primitive Technology youtube channel makes all kinds of low tech furnaces, ovens, kilns etc just from river mud. His most recent innovation is a fired mud brick iron smelter

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Your garden looks so inviting, you just want to get in and walk around and explore.
I love the borrowed herbs that grew through the fence...

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Your garden looks so inviting, you just want to get in and walk around and explore.
I love the borrowed herbs that grew through the fence...
yes those are the best. We are really good with all of the neighbors around there. That's good because I think if there are so many on a small space neighboring each other it makes thing much easier. I mean you can't consent with each and everyone, but you can tolerate their believes if they tolerate yours, and maybe they posess knowledge you don't and somehow you can come to an understanding nonetheless.

Top Bottom