SelfSufficiant Gardenventure in eastern Germany

Yess! And our household loves beans too!
I'm not sure if done in germany, but green beans used to be preserved in salt in the Netherlands. Especially before fridges were a commonity. My dad did it too, kept beans in a bucket full of salt. Frankly, I can't stand the taste, but my dad loves them, as do many others. I think it's nice to change it up a bit from time to time. I suppose this was also a commonity as my family grew up near the sea, so salt was readily available.

Hello everyone!
Spring is finally here, even if winter is quite persistent on staying this year. Had fb remembering me last week that last year around this time i already had zucchini and pumpkin out on the balcony and also the Tomatoes... we had hail on the 25thMar and 2h of continued snowing on Monday.
So with tour flowering apricot tree, I don't think we will have any fruit this year seeing as they all freezed off 🫣
IMG-20230328-WA0028.jpeg

All other apple and cherry trees are way slower in producing flowers as you can see.
IMG-20230328-WA0029.jpeg
IMG-20230328-WA0030.jpeg

I'm pretty stoked about my little bay tree beeing still alive as they can be a bit vulnerable while beeing so small and seeing as one branch died off. But it even produced 2 flowers😍
IMG-20230328-WA0033.jpeg

The blueberries are all doing fine as far as I can tell. Even tha later flowering varieties are starting in producing leaves.

IMG-20230328-WA0027.jpeg

All the other berry bushes (red/white/black currants, gooseberries) are doing really well. Even the new Cuttings I planted about 2 weeks ago are producing leaves. (1st pic: black currant, 2nd pic: (old)gooseberry)
IMG-20230328-WA0013.jpeg
IMG-20230328-WA0021.jpeg

I did get a peppermint plant that is thriving as well. Got it about 4 weeks ago already so it got plenty of strange weather already and isn't bothering πŸ˜…

I did plant Onions and they are doing just fine. Can't be bothered by the weather either, just a bit slow. But slow and steady wins the endurance race, right?

I also did sow Dill and Rhubarb that sprouted already. On the other side of our greenhouse the endive is almost ready to harvest.

The roses are doing fie so far, but they are also getting confused with the weather. some of them show new frost damage on the upper stems but otherwise are fine.

In our pond the fishies have mostly survived.

The newly planted allium are sprouting already, at least the early varieties.

Now onto some flowery pics that I got on random spots around our garden, enjoy!

Last edited:
Nothing like seeing the first flowers after snow 😍

Love how healthy your plants look - they almost seem eager to start producing again. That's amazing :D

Hello everyone πŸ‘‹

harvested yesterday the first endive! 😍 verry yummy!
IMG-20230331-WA0009.jpeg

Also started to kit the broken pieces of our new stone barbeque grill... realised that I forgot the tension belt so I had to improvise with a rope that was lying around πŸ˜…πŸ˜
IMG-20230331-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20230331-WA0007.jpeg

We put everything together today and of course nothing was dry enough to move it in one piece... so it al broke apart again, but we placed it all togeteher tied it up and now with their own weight it all should stay where it is as it dries slowly out. next Friday we will start a small fire in it so the rest of it can get fully dry, and then it schould last until it gets removed totally some distant day in the future... Had some help from a friend with the heavy lifting, cause these stone are pretty heavy. We put some plastic bags on top, just to ceep the partially heavy rain away from directly pouring over the mortar and washing it out and away...
IMG-20230402-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20230402-WA0002.jpg

And the I wanted to give a small update on my tomato and paprika/chili/peperoni seedlings. I know that especially in the last picture they are a bit leggy but it'll have to do this year. I'll get some proper plant lights next year. But most of them are pretty good. They sit on our south facing window.
IMG-20230401-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20230401-WA0011.jpeg

Last edited:
That's awesome!

I love seeing the oven put together - it looks awesome. I wish I had one too - I'd love to try making a pizza in it, or some rustic bread.

Tomatoes do really wel being dug into the ground anyway thankfully, so cut off some bottom leaves and dig it in deeper. It'll sprout new roots from the stem like there's no tomorrow. And this can also aid in ensuring your tomato has deeper roots and grows up a little more stable/less floppy.

Hello everyone!

Our gril was just finished in time for our easter get together on sunday. I used a bit of gold-varnish to make it a bit special. Just like the japanese tradition "kintsugi", wher broken things (cups and bowls) get repaired with gold rather than thrown away to make them more valuable by giving them an history.
IMG-20230404-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20230404-WA0019.jpeg
IMG-20230407-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20230407-WA0006.jpeg

But the most important thing is... it grills 😍 πŸ˜‹
IMG-20230404-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20230407-WA0002.jpeg

we also put a shooting stand for our bow&arrow together. A favorite pasttime we all share. This way we (hopefully) won't hear an "ouch" from our neighborπŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ«£ the target stand in front, the tarp is just there to catch any arrows that are missing their mark. hopefully, in the foreseeable future we can get another one of these tarps to hang them a bit higher, but for now it works.
IMG-20230407-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20230408-WA0006.jpeg

On sunday we had our kids chasingthe easter-bunny or at least searching for eggs. Seems as if he got a bit eggcited this year and jumped so high, some landed on our apricot tree πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€”πŸ€£
IMG-20230409-WA0043.jpeg
IMG-20230409-WA0112.jpeg
IMG-20230409-WA0039.jpeg

And finally, yesterday I did a fair bit of weeding in our small greenhouse. you really can see the big difference between before and after.
IMG-20230413-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20230413-WA0038.jpeg

There was a 20l bucket full of grown spinach and another 20l bucket full of weeds and grass🫣 you still can see my winter onions I planted last November as bulbs which are now slowly getting ready. In betwee these I planted the first 6 tomatoes.... and yes I know, I know it's way to early to plant them outside, but I also really need the space at home. and these were the biggest and strongest 6 of them. 2 Varieties: 3x Tschernij Prince and 3x Oxheart 2. It's kind of an experiment for me, don't know if they will make it this early but I have hope, that the greenhouse provides enough cover, that they'll survive. all of them are planted about 15-20cm deeper and I gave each a handfull of hornshavings mixed into the soil to give them a good nutrition for the first few month. Hornshavings are commonly used as fertilizer around here. I also gave this whole bed 5 buckets of good compost last winter, so it should be good to go.
IMG-20230413-WA0011.jpeg
IMG-20230413-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20230413-WA0013.jpeg

And I had to harfest some of the onions to fit in the new tomato plants. some of them went into dinner together fith sweet potatoes and zucchini... yummyπŸ˜‹ under the onions you can see almost all of the grass and weeds and spinach I pulled out. Bunny (Hauro, after "Howls moving castle" from Hayao Miyazaki. Howls german name is Hauro, and I think it's the japanese name as well πŸ€” ) loves it
IMG-20230413-WA0023.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I love how you used the gold. Definitely makes it feel very special.

Haha, let's hope not. We used to shoot a pellet gun in the backyard ourselves. Though I think we got fairly lucky we never had an issue as we eventually ate through the plywood (which quadrupled or more in weight because of all the lead in it by the time we had to remove it - whoops).

Looks like the kids had an awesome Easter. I hope the parent did too.

Love the greenhouse - definitely looks like you've put some work into it. And mr Bunny doesn't look like he minded either ;)
What a cutie

Hello again 😁

A quick update of my never shown before balcony:
The herbtower top: rosemary and 2x lavender
middle: savory oregano and lovage
bottom: pepermint, hugo-mint and chives

back left thyme, back right oregano and up front parsley

Also multiplied the savory (white bucket) and just planted 2 new strawberries

round bowl contains new garlic-chives, the long white container ist still empty.

These will probably only contain flowers this year.

and tried a second batch of rosemary cuttings after the ones from autumn all died... let's wait and see.

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I want to grow more herbs in the future too - especially as some died last year and I never got to replacing them. Perhaps I should start them now, ready for winter, hmm πŸ€”

Love the flowers! They always help colour a garden (and attract bees). Sadly I have a black flower thumb. I'll learn though... one day.

I love these horned violets (viola cornuta) they are so frugal and easy to keep. plant them don't let them dry out and they'll bloom for ages 😍 here in our climate they produce flowers almost the whole year round. And on top of that, their flowerheads are edible πŸ˜πŸ˜‹

They always did amazing at mom's too. I loved seeing them around. Not sure they would do well in the subtropical heat though.

I have never tried them - but I've seen people put them in jello as pretty decorations.

Hello everyone!

Spring is in full swing around here. the nights are still cold (around 1-6 Β°C) but the days are mostly mild-warm (7-19Β°C). And I've decided to risk planting some stuff already outside. Usually our last frost date is around mid may but fingers crossed everything still survives...
I've planted a black-eyed Susan vine on our pacio. we had it last year in the same spot and it grew splendidly. It get's really warm there and sometimes also really dry if we don't water every day and there is also no direct sunlight because of the shading cloth, but the plant is really hardy and survives almost everything πŸ˜…
IMG-20230415-WA0007.jpeg

My fiance brought home a whole box of store thrown out plants that we used in our flowerbeds (white aubretia, sea thrift and others) we plann on useing it as alive ground cover, to surpress weeds and water evaporation (a bit like mulch). there were also strawberries in between, all a bit worse for wear but with a good watering and some tlc they are all on the mend.
IMG-20230421-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230422-WA0000.jpeg

Our little sour cherry tree is in full bloom. and the first apple tree is also starting to bloom right now (last pic).
IMG-20230421-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20230421-WA0005.jpeg

I've started some carrots and peas in one of our raised garden beds. peas all around so they can grow and hang over the sides, carrots in 3 rows in the middle. Sown 4 days ago, so that may still take a while...
IMG-20230415-WA0010.jpeg

And I've planted most tomatoes in our greenhouse and directly around the greenhouse where there is still a fair bit of wind and wether shelter. also the thick layer of mulch outside of autumn leaves helps protecting the young tomatoes. The Chard you can see on the first pics got replanted outside today as I really need the space inside for other stuff πŸ˜…The smaller greenhouse alredy got mulched with grass cuttings from yesterday, but it wasn't enough for the bigger one(last pic). Also planted some of our sweet Peppers in front of and in between the tomatoes. Evrything has new compost and some horn shavings as fertilizer. later on I'll add some old horsemanure as the plants get bigger. And I tried to grow my own rhubarb from seed. they are now sitting in the bigger greenhouse rhight at the front in between that tomatoes and sweet peppers (second last pic, the three little plants with the rounder leaves).
IMG-20230421-WA0011.jpeg
IMG-20230421-WA0016.jpeg
IMG-20230421-WA0013.jpeg
IMG-20230421-WA0015.jpeg

My pointed cabbage is starting to flower, I guess mr. Hauro (bunny) is getting some cabbage in the following days and weeks... In between the cabbage i planted some knob cellary seedlings. and the cabbage heads around them I'll harvest first so they get enough space. Also the left over turnip cabbage has some pretty flowers too...

Aaaaaand I started some more endive, yellow beets (like the red beetroots just in yellow), curly kale and marrowfat peas

and some spring pics of the rest of the garden:
IMG-20230421-WA0017.jpeg

Attachments

• SelfSufficiant Gardenventure in eastern Germany
    IMG-20230423-WA0020.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 54
  • SelfSufficiant Gardenventure in eastern Germany
    IMG-20230423-WA0018.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Fingers crossed the weather stays good! But even so, a mild frost "should" be okay, though young ones might need a little protection (even an upside-down bucket can help insulate).

Thrown out plants? Where can I find me some :p
That's so lucky/sad, as all they usually need is a good drink of water. I worked at a garden supply store and so many plants died every week and got thrown out.. Like cacti being placed near water loving plants and thusly getting overwatered and rotting away. Yikes. To be fair, I didn't know much about gardening back then, but even I knew you don't water cacti that much. Had to bring it to the co-worker in charge of that area's attention. Threw out 25 or so beautiful little cacti plants that day. And we only knew because a customer complained!

That tree is stunning with it's flowers opening up 😍
I love the starts and progress - looks like it's going to be an awesome growing season!

The one thing I miss from having actual Winters is appreciating the first flowers after everything looking dead. Seeing the beautiful plants, flowers and animals pop up once more everywhere and everything just livening up. Over here it's year-round all pretty much the same. The only reason things look dead is because of a severe dry spell, where we can't even get to appreciate the beauty because all we're focussed on is water, water, water. Then again... we do see the skippies (walibies) come down the mountain because they are desperate for a drink. We have a small creek through the backyard, and when that dries out we fill a water trough for our pet cows. I bet they sneak a drink from there too occasionally.

Hello everyone!

Just a short update on my new seeds that I just put into their beds... The last frost date is still some weeks away so I waited a bit with the Cucumbers/Squashes/Zucchinis. To be honest.... totally forgot about the corn πŸ˜… Not much goin on at the garden with me... I lost my voice last thursday from a cold and it's just started to return so I'm quite a bit under the weather still...

from left to right: Watermelon yellow pineapple, squash atlantic giant, blue pumpkin, last two containers without naming is the corn.

first and third are small cucumbers used for pickling, second is a big salad cucumber, yellow and green zucchini, and the Hokaido

Last edited:
Hope you feel better soon πŸ€—

Those look like some good prospects. I can't wait to see what the growing season will look like for you :D

Hello everyone and welcome to the delightful month may😍

Everything is green, everything is flowering and/or in full bloom and everything is sprouting.
My raised bed is bringing carrots and peas that just started to raise their heads. Peas will grow all around and hang over the edge. And there are 2 type of carrots in 3 rows in the middle. Really tinyand you can barely see them in the pics. (well and weedsπŸ˜…)
IMG-20230506-WA0036.jpeg
IMG-20230506-WA0034.jpeg

One of the apple trees is in full bloom now. The sour cherry tree is already finished. Have seen some great tits and some blue tits in it but none actally going into the nesting box, but there's hope. right next to is an azalea in full bloom, it really looks on fireπŸ”₯
IMG-20230506-WA0040.jpeg
IMG-20230506-WA0042.jpeg

as I mentioned everything is flowering... even the corn salad ... πŸ˜…

Our blueberries seem to like their new home. Every single one of them is in full bloom (but the one that will be fruiting in september, too early for that one...) Even the old bushes that already got transplanted a few time in the garden are looking healthy and happy. Seems I found a good way for custom earth. Am really happy so far with this small raised bed that I made out of an old rain barrel.

And our jerusalem artichokes are coming up as well. they will serve as a kind of scree from the front, that not everyone can just watch us splashing around in our pool. And remember the runaway thyme from our neighbor? well it really like it's new situation too.

There is a hybrid between Raspberries and bramble that almosed freezed compleetely off... but look how many flowers are coming up on the branches that survived.

The black currants (firs pic) and the red and white ones are already flowering and producing the first fruits as you can see. That'll give us plenty of jam and sirup😍oh jum, I can't wait for thatπŸ˜‹

And look at those gooseberries... even the cuttings I took last autumn are carrying fruits😍πŸ₯° I'm really stoked about how well that went 🀩

Our potatoes also are showing up on the surface. And I planted a row of snow peas inbetween two roms of potatoes. Let's see how that goes.

And finally we might have some luck this year with our wild plum tree. At least it flowered and with a bit of luck we will have some small plumsπŸ˜‹

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Look at all those amazing saplings 😍
some of them got a bit leggy... left them for too long on our noth facing window in the child room πŸ˜… just today I shifted them to our south facing window after taking the rest of thetomatoes out on the balcony. leggyness aside they still semm to be quite strong. all where planted on the same day but they all show a very different amount of sprouting time...
pickling cucumbers Hokus and Vorgebirgstraube (foothill grabe literally translated), salad cucumber Tanja , Zucchini Gold Rusch (yellow variety) and in the back black beauty (dark green variety)

then there's the Hokaido pumpkin uchiki kuri, watermelon Ananas (pineapple) , the blue pumpkin , and the atlantic giant took the longest

sadly only 3 kornsapplings have shown up πŸ€”I'm not sure weather it's the seeds or something else. maybe I get another batch of seeds and try anew...

and well our neighbor gave us a bag full of cuttings and just putt it over the fence... It really wasn't intended but it landed on my freshly purchased and planted rhubarb plant and stayed there for a couple of days 😐😭... now the plant is dead... well I guess there will be no rhubarb next year... the leave that looks still green on the pic just came of as i tried to lift it carefully... rotten at the stem. with a tremendous bit of luck maybe the roots still survived and it'll come back but I'm not very but to be honest it most likely will not...

Last edited:
G'day erveryone!

in this thread I want to share the hapenings and decissions in our shared Garden on our way to get more SelfSufficient with Veggies and some fruits.

I have a current picture of the planned layout of the veggie/fruit part of our Garden:
-View attachment 7989
Black lines are wat is already set and done, the lead pencil lines are what is planned, the pink ones can be ignored.
As fruit trees we have currently:
2 apple
1 sour-cherry
1 peach
1 plum
1 apricot

Because the Land is rented from a club there are some rules we have to abide by. The easiest one is the 1/3 Rule:

1/3 of the land is for ornamental (hedges, flowerbeds, ponds)
1/3 of the land is for recreation (lawn, pool, small houses, sheds etc.)
1/3 of the land is for cultivation/agriculture (veggies, berries, fruittrees, nuttreas etc)

thats messured pretty roughly and if one wants more space for cultivation, no one cares a bit if you shrinks down the ornamental part for example ...

And thats exactly what we are planning to do right at the moment. With building some Raised beds and defining the groundbeds anew.

Raised Bed no1 was finished 3 weeks ago- just some spare rocks and some leftover wood from behind the shed, screwed together and voila
-View attachment 7990

Raised Bed no2 went in straight after the first one. There were some PlantingStones (don't know if they exist in the US or down under, or if that is even a name) in the middle of part of the lawn left from the lady before us, and they were just in the way. And then there were some slightly bigger ones in the corner where we use to sit, just taking space away and needed to be placed somwhere else anyway.
-View attachment 7991

Then I startet defining the first groundbeds behind raised bed no2, using some sticks and string to get it almost straight. Just today finished digging horsemanure into two of those 3 parts.
-
View attachment 7993
View attachment 7994
.View attachment 7992
And because I had Time left I decided to move the small Plumtree to a slightly better position... almost bit more off with that than what I could chew but nonetheless nailed it.
-View attachment 7995
And finally took my sticks and thread and started the layout of the rest of the ground beds for the side of the plumtree.
-View attachment 7996
-View attachment 7997 .View attachment 7998
Enough for today... my back hurts πŸ€£πŸ™ˆ getting old πŸ˜…πŸ™ˆ but jokes aside that was a pretty heavy workout today...
I'm really late to the party on this conversation, but I just wanted to quickly say before I log out and get some sleep that I love your little hand-drawn on paper map plan for the garden. That's how I plan out everything as well.. though it doesn't always go according to plan, I've learned around here that planning anything that involves digging a hole in the ground is guaranteed to require alterations at some point. But seeing your little map plan on grid paper made me squeak out loud, "Hey, I do that too! Friend!" Your soil looks a lot better than mine does.

I'm really late to the party on this conversation, but I just wanted to quickly say before I log out and get some sleep that I love your little hand-drawn on paper map plan for the garden. That's how I plan out everything as well.. though it doesn't always go according to plan, I've learned around here that planning anything that involves digging a hole in the ground is guaranteed to require alterations at some point. But seeing your little map plan on grid paper made me squeak out loud, "Hey, I do that too! Friend!" Your soil looks a lot better than mine does.
Thank you so much 😍
yeah the topsoil isn't that bad even if it contains a lot of sand actually... the bad thing is 60cm (sometimes just 40cm) beneath comes bure clay and waaaaaaay down there is brown coal and some porous stone stuff that I can't name... all in all the topsoil can't hold moisture for long, the second layer beneath can't absorb water that well and waaaaay down below it gets oily from the brown coul or lost due to the porous stoneπŸ˜… That's why I'm heavily getting into mulching this year, hoping to get the water problem under control on the surface or at least to better the situation and to help get more organic matter into the topsoil to balance the sand better outπŸ€” because it really isn't that bad. It lives, there're bugs and worms and stuff, which is really good.

And yeah the grid paper is a thing of mine... when we moved last time I mesured all our furniture and planned it out on a drawing of our new flat on grid paper so the day we actually moved the heavy stuff we just placed it once and there it stayed 😁 I find it easier that way. I need a picture in my head, a goal that I want to reach, before I start stuff like that. if later on problems arise i can always still alter my plans as needed...

Back
Top Bottom