second full harvest

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
ok so now at 6 1/2 weeks in on this batch of NFT grown lettuce, and ready for second full cut. aprox 34 lbs harvested to date with one full cut and a prior snipping select leafs for early salad.

have not decided if i will take cut everything back fully or cut one of two plant back and then selective cut the rest. I estimate if i take full cut like first harvest i would take in range 22 to 26 lbs at least

12th one week after first harvest growth coming back up
Image(43).jpeg Image(44).jpeg

this past Saturday 19th
let-11-19).jpg

today 11-22 time for second cut
11-22a.jpeg 11-22b.jpeg

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Wow they're crazy :shock:
yes the growth on 12th was after it had been cut back like a flat top on almost all of the lettuce on the 6th, , so from cut at average 3/4 to 1 inch above the net pot back to a harvest-able size average is 2 weeks today was 16 days i will still get another full cut and maybe 2 more it depends how flavors hold up, ir just like cutting in garden as the plant ages the flavors have a subtle change in flavor in background.
Front left 2 plants i may get one more cut that is the Bronze Mignonette it likes it cooler and i can tell from leafs colors they will maybe start taking on a slight bitterness and color is showing i may need to dim the LED intensity a bit on some of the spectrum's. it looks like they are getting bleached out from light

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
well i managed to get a couple photos the other day set phone down and forgot about it and the battery died. so anyways the photos below first is from the 22nd cropped to focus on the buttercrunch in center, to left is black seeded simpson to right is another buttercrunch, as can be seen the center buttercrunch over laps into other 2 by a significant amount. each plant is 8 inch ( 20.3 cm ) apart to reference this one i did manage to to get photos of.

the 6th this was cut back to approximately 1 1/2 inch above the net pot, the center shoots back up if some leaf growth is left at center , or plant sends up side shoots from around base if cut like i did the other day. This head is over 16 inches ( 40.6 cm ) across , center stem where i cut is a aprox 1/2 inch in diameter and you can see where first cut was made so it left a center growth to come back from.
I did severe cut to see how they will regrow and form for side shoots this will delay next harvest greatly and should produce some side growth.

side note i should have cut them a bit earlier i cute them thursday last week on 24th tastes is still remarkable but i can notice a subtle bitterness in background on the blackseed simpsom because regrowth was too big. no noticeable signs of bolting of the lettuce but i feel i could have cut its at the 19th/20th so at 2 weeks of regrowth. the darker types like the Buttercrunch, Romaine or Bronze Mignonette show no sign of bitterness and the paler varieties very slight subtle hint on the larger leafs

buttercrunch2.jpg buttercrunch.jpeg
BC.jpg base.jpeg

Attachments

• BC.jpg
    BC.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2
  • buttercrunch.jpeg
    buttercrunch.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 3
  • buttercrunch2.jpg
    buttercrunch2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 2

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Too bad about the slight bitterness, perhaps next time better. They look amazing though!
the only one notice any bitterness and you have to actually deliberately hold it in mouth to tell was the black seed simpson the other darker leaf lettuce didnt show it and only the largest of leafs on and just a hint on one very large leaf from the ruby red. with onions peppers tomatoes in a salad the subtle bitterness wasnt even noticeable at all.
the buttercrunch variety in photo with hand was remarkable taste it carried the nice sweet slight buttery tone very smooth and clean, the texture was crisp crunch this and bronze mignonette and my romaines will be my focus for the largest plantings for simple reason more tolerant to heat they dont bolt as fast as other varieties and these factors make them less bitter even as heat goes up, the black seed simpson i usually harvest earlier then other because it produces faster but bolts easy

Top Bottom