Saskatchewan CDN

Hi folks, our growing season has started (mid May) and was wondering if anything will withstand -40s to -50s, yes we plug our vehicles in to keep the oil fluid. Can I get ahead start by planting in the fall? Thank you Mike

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was about to tag him too! He definitely does an awesome job growing in the cold.
I definitely recommend you check out his thread, which has been going for years now ;)

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi folks, our growing season has started (mid May) and was wondering if anything will withstand -40s to -50s, yes we plug our vehicles in to keep the oil fluid. Can I get ahead start by planting in the fall? Thank you Mike
I am still getting rained on down here in western Montana. I have two questions for the readers here:
Is it better to have a small tractor such as yours and try to rent the various attachments as needed, or is it better to have a UTV with a pin hitch? We have a steep hillside to deal with on occasion, but most of our work is on the flat.
Second question: Spotted KNAP WEED! I think the best strategy is to burn the whole field where it has taken dominance. Can't possibly go around spraying individual plants, but I am wondering what chemical to use after the burn when the old beast starts to show up again? I want to replant the field grass and some wildflower mix. All thoughts are always welcome!

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Tractor vs. UTV may depend on what exactly you want / need it to do, and whether there are other jobs you can task it with. The question may be whether you want to use something for which a PTO (Power TakeOff) would be required, such as rototiller, post hole auger, chipper/shredder or hydraulics - loader bucket, log splitter, etc which would require a tractor. Alternatively, if you already have a UTV, I'd suggest trying that first to see how it does for you.

Another alternative may be to work on establishing social links with others in your region to help you swap resources.

@Saskatoon mike I did post a response in another thread with your question. I know there are some things, like native tall grass prairie (well, native here...not sure if you're considered mixed-grass or short grass prairie there but I suspect the latter getting toward parkland) that are recommended to be laid down in the fall. Winter wheat and fall rye are sown before the snow falls for effectively the reason you're noting, but I'm not aware of anyone intentionally trying that with vegetables or herbs.

Gardenline at USask may be able to provide a better answer.

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Thank you so much for your thoughts they are very helpful! I will re-read tomorrow and ask more questions at my local grain/feed shop.
I think what is most bothersome is that I have so many smaller jobs that once I get them done right I won't need to do them again--but they are so diverse! I need to flatten out some rough terrain, I need to dig up large areas of pure weeds, I need to turn mow large areas of field grass, etc.
It is a good suggestion to look for ways to share the different types of equipment.
Right now--I am sitting here in southwestern Montana watching the smoke from the Alberta forest fires--first of the season!
Many thanks,
Anne

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Another consideration is that you may be able to rent equipment for a one-time job, which may make more financial sense than making a purchase and never using the equipment again. That said, if there is something you can't rent, if needed, you can purchase, then resell once you're done with it, making it sort of like a rental but with more work involved. Good luck.

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
I am beginning to agree with you about renting. I am going to check our local rental yard and see what they offer. My hope is that I can find a two seater UTV that will have the proper type of hitch attachment!

On another subject: you may be interested to know that we had a 3 day window of opportunity for doing field burns here! It rained for two months and the ground and old growth from last year was just too wet to burn. Then the sun and a dry wind came and conditions were suddenly very good, however we then immediately had a rapid growth in grass/weeds. I am looking at green fields that have overgrown the dead stuff by 7 inches already!
Wish my veggies would do the same thing :)
Thank you again for your thoughts!

Top Bottom