Tip Ryobi Silent Electric Shredder/Chipper 2400W

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Ash, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Moving back into town with an established garden and a lot of foliage needing pruning, I went ahead to buy a shredder. After trying Mitre 10 and finding nothing but a small shredder I wouldn't trust on going the distance, I proceeded to Bunnings to go for the higher end electric shredder that is low revs and high torque. I thought it would do the job at home okay chipping all the pruned trees I was busy with over the easter break. This is the product:
    http://www.ryobi.com.au/products/details/2400w-silent-shredder
    Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Looks great on paper. Assembly was also very easy.
    Road tested shortly thereafter and initially it seemed to be doing the job. Small branches were being automatically fed in and chipped. The first load was a bit of a mishmash - crumpled rather than shredded foliage, not much was done to leaves at all. I thought I'd overlook that and even after I'd adjusted the blades, it was still coming out crushed rather than shredded. But the kicker was the feeding mechanism. Not long after starting the machine wouldn't actively feed anymore. Clogged with leaves? I clear them. Still struggles to feed. Only very stiff branches fed with force are chewed up by the machine. Everything else won't feed.

I was hoping for a machine that would do a better job and chip without the issues above. Am I expecting too much from an electric machine? Would a petrol or even higher rev electric chipper do a better job?

2. Silver Egg

Silver Egg Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    The better shredders you can get all have a high speed rotating disk, but that means they make a lot of noise. I have an electric one (http://www.viking-garden.com/VIKING...on-shredders-for-hard-and-soft-materials.aspx) and a PTO driven one on our tractor. They outperform the old shredder I got rid of which was a generic version of yours, two slow rotating large nuts that basically crush (and not shred) the wood and foliage. It proved nothing but trouble, feeding wise and also the output. If you put in for example bamboo, it would come out like a long crushed stringy piece of bamboo, not chopped like I was hoping for. I ended up removing much of the plastic funnel (with all the risk of having missing fingers ;-) from the top, which gives better access to the mechanism and makes it easier to feed.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The Ryobi website makes it sound easy. Is there no way to adjust it to get a better result?

You could probably return it for a refund, say they got the name wrong, it's a Crumpler not a Shredder.

4. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    :)
    Mangler.

Bunnings store rep thinks I might have put too much green foliage in it. I'd rather have a machine that doesn't have as much restriction on what it is able to shred, so I'm in the market for another variety.

I've adjusted the blades in it and it still produced a crumpled mess. Looking elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks silver egg. Your advice was led me back to considering the louder alternative in the standard electric shredding mulcher such as the Ryobi 2400W Electric Impact Shredder

I've looked around and aside from going to a $1,000-$1,200 budget for a petrol driven chipper, I think the traditional electric shredder should fit the bill (plus it's more compact to store, an important consideration for me). Interestingly I was veered away from buying such a product from the Bunnings staff because the silent variety was considered to be superior.

6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes exactly... my electric shredder (I got last year) here's the post Mulcher
    will work pretty well without clogging or stopping (even on palm fronds) but it often just crushes instead of actually shredding. The problem with crushed stuff is it takes longer to compost and it's harder to manage in the garden as mulch.

7. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Personally, I think if you want something that will do a reasonable job you need to look at something from a chainsaw or mower shop in the $6-700 category.

I have 2 chippers/shredders.

The first & mostly used one is an old electric GMC dark blue machine from Mitre10 probably, although I bought it secondhand for a song around 8yrs ago.
    I already had another which I used for parts to fix the second.
    The thing that made this generally less than quality machine works so well is I took the feeder off.
    It directs the sticks into the incorrect place for a good cut.
    It also encourages binding of the greener waste.
    So off it came so I could see where I was putting the sticks & leaves & offered a wide throat.
    Yes I have to be very careful & I don't let anyone else near the thing.
    But it works great & does green sticks like hibiscus up to 1.5cm when they are fed to the prefect place on the blade.
    I have it parked up on 4 concrete house blocks standing on end so I can get my huge special bag (which ties on around the guts of the thing), under the shute. I do barrows full at a time & the bag holds around 100lt which is a barrow full. I made the bags years ago out of weedmat. They also hold a bale of lucerne which is what I made them for originally.
    It doesn't do palm fronds.

The other is a geriatric no-name original chipper that makes what's called Forest Blend.
    The blade spins horizontal, driven by a big powerful heavy electric motor that hangs menacingly under it!
    It's legs are far too flimsy for the power of the motor so I rarely use it but it does make excellent forest mulch.
    I need to mount it on a better timber bench I think & I would get far more use from it.
    It doesn't do palm frond either! But I don't care as I have other much better uses for them.;)

8. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks for the experience passed on here. It all makes sense. There are a couple of 3-in-1 mowers showing up on the market (mower, mulcher, chipper) but they look like gimmick features. For now I might just mow over the small branches and be done with it...

• Like Like x 1