Rust problem?

Jerrysberrys

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm guessing this is the start of rust on my cucumbers, how can I stop it ?

Attachments

• 20211220_114427.jpg
    20211220_114427.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20211220_114412.jpg
    20211220_114412.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 86

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sadly I do not know much about cucumbers... but I know of a very handy website!
I tried looking on it myself, but as I don't know much I struggled pinpointing it.

What struck me as odd mostly is that the leaf doesn't look damaged at all, at most it just looked dehydrated or slightly wilted from the sun (they recover once the sun goes down). The orange powder though... I couldn't find anything that would say what that was, not without having more damage like that. You could try preventative spraying against fungal diseases as it definitely looks like it might be something fungal. But it still strikes me as odd. Is there anything under the leaves? Are other plants affected?

Jerrysberrys

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Its appeared over night Im outside everyday with them so its new , the powder isn't under the leaves and no critters I just checked, I did spray paraffin oil on everything about 3 days ago ,unless its just dirt ? Their has been alot of wind recently But I dont think it is . Yea they are wilted just from the sun they get plenty of care and appear to be healthy im not sure what it is. I will check out that site thank you

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Did you try smooshing it with your fingers? Rust is a "dry" fungal disease that causes the leaf to gradually die off and will feel crunchy to the touch. That there looks like an infestation of some critter, perhaps tiny red spider mites - I reckon if you touch them, they will squash on the leaf and leave a brown stain (which you can then wash off with water). Other telltale signs it might be bugs rather than rust - do they move when you blow on them or drip water on them? Are there tiny fibres of silk, like spider webs, about the place (especially underneath the leaf and on the stem joints)?

If they're mites, you can fill a broad bucket or bowl with water and dip the leaves in one by one and they'll almost all fall off into the water. Mites hate water and will fall off into it. There are natural controls like other parasitic mites, ladybugs and lacewing larvae but these can be hard to introduce in a targeted way.

I have mite problems on my dandelion and I just squash them with my fingers up and down each leaf. I gave up growing lettuce as the mites destroy it, dandelion seems hardier and though it has mites the leaves don't die off like the lettuce does.

Top Bottom