Rooster Collars to stop crowing what's your thoughts?

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Roosters crowing aren't that bad, as long as they crow when they are meant to. We have a bantam rooster behind us that starts about 4 in the morning, has a rest from about 11 to 1 or 2, then goes again until the evening. Apparently it's common for bantams; can anyone confirm this?

Robyn67

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Our bantam pekin starts at 4am, then gets the rest going. Not sure is it's a breed thing, he doesn't crow most of the day, only on and off. We have 5 roosters in total.

Dione

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have used them on my roosters and they work if they are fitted correctly.
I'm in an urban setting and my shire council has a $500 on the spot fine for roosters so if I can have a rooster and fly under the radar then color me happy.

Yep. I'm a maverick.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
One way to sort out any bullying in the henhouse is to isolate the bully away from the other hens for a week or so. Then put her back in; the group dynamic will be very different.

Shannon Robinson

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Crowing roosters are fine so long as it is only the owners who are subject to the noise.
It is up there with incessant barking dogs, relentless chainsawing & grass trimming or motorbike riding on small acreages.
Our neighbors have 2 dogs that bark incessantly. Our rooster is a americuna cross. He only crows if he needs to warn a cat or dog is in the yard, or if the water gets knocked over, stuff like that. His crow is nowhere near as loud as the bark of the dogs. Other neighbors like him. They say it’s a nice ambience. No complaints yet, so hopefully he will have a nice long life.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
"so hopefully he will have a nice long life"!!

I like your thinking Shannon!

Vivienneleroux

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Get a bunch of Guinea fowl and then ask yourself if a rooster is really that loud. LOL

Our neighbor's rooster can be a bit loud at times, but only when he escapes and starts crowing under my window at 5AM.

Guess I'm just use to farm noise and prefer it over loud cars.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I live in a valley that has no noise other than the quiet sounds of gentle nature.
Except when the neighbours in two sides start doing their industrial estate impersonations with all manner of heavy equipment revving and beeping along with various loudly barking dogs and the bloody roosters.
When you pay for quietness it is hard to have the noisy neighbours inflicting themselves into your thoughts from over the boundaries.
They forget that the noise from their activities extends part their fences.
Much like the bullets from their guns also fly past their boundaries!

TarynS.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
In my opinion, I think that if it saves the rooster’s life when it will otherwise be killed it can deal with a bit of discomfort!

Here's a new product to stop roosters from crowing called a Rooster Collar sold by City Chicks (they have exclusive rights to sell the product in Australia).

Basically, it's a velcro collar which is placed around the roosters neck and when the bird flexes its voice box and neck to let out a big crow the collar restricts the airflow consequently muffling the sound.

There are those who are totally opposed to the collar and say it's cruel to modify the natural behaviour of an animal. Also, some people believe the collar is more like a strangulation device.

However, there are others who say this product has actually saved the life of their rooster which would have otherwise been put down or slaughtered to eat! So I wonder if given the choice would the roster prefer a collar or a perceivably worse fate?

Personally, I think it's an odd solution to stop crowing but as long as the collar doesn't irritate the bird and cause a rash or other physical condition than I guess it's ok. I mean, if it's similar to a collar on a dog than I can't see big issue because we modify the natural behaviour in animals in so many different other ways anyway.

If it saves the premature death of a rooster or enables a person to keep a rooster for breeding without annoying the neighbours and it only restricts crowing but nothing else than it's probably humane I suppose?

What do you guys think?

Here's a good video showing the rooster collar in action - see for yourself?

Staghound

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Really old post but I will comment here as I have used and continue to use no crow collars.

They work, but there is a real fine line between too tight(comb starts to go blue and they start having difficulty breathing) just right(their crow is really subdued) and not tight enough where their crow is loud. Placement is key, needs to be low on the neck seems like just above the crop is the best place i found

I use double sided velcro as well as I found the no crow collars sometimes came off or once they get feather dust in the velcro bit they fall off easier.

I have a rooster about 80m away from me and his crow is louder than my roosters ones 10m from my house, at any time i have had 7 roosters here and while when there is a few they crow more it certianly seems to make them crow a lot less.

My current leghorn that I have has crowed once that I have heard in the last few weeks, he rarely crows at all now.

Nfors

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in the urban city and have been using the collars for about 2 years now since my neighbours complained to council I found mention of them on the RSPCA website. My last rooster was so friendly and became a household pet but i was devastated when I accidentally tightened the collar too tight and killed him one day.

I have all his offspring now including 2 more roosters which I put the Velcro collars on much earlier when they were just starting to crow and instead of muffling them it has had the effect of detering them completely and I haven't heard a single crow in 3 months.

I actually find the generic 10 for $5 ones with the strap much better, they are easier to adjust and don't fall off.

I have frizzl roosters they have a passive temperament but protect and warn the hens of dangers, theyre also good if I need to move all the chickens somewhere I just pick up the rooster and all the girls follow him

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I don't have roosters , or chooks for that matter, but I have heard that if you build the highest perch nearer to the roof of the chookhouse with enough room for him to sit but no more, then the rooster cannot stretch it's neck enough to crow. Due to the "pecking order" the rooster will be up the top. This won't stop them crowing all together, but will stop them at all hours of the night.

Rachel

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks to Bill if you’re still on the forum. I made the rooster collar per your diagram and it works like a charm on my handsome guy who was previously waking us up at 2AM and 3AM.

thanks!

Top Bottom