Rodent issues

Dan325

Climate
Sub-Tropical
I believe I’ve got a mouse eating all my lettuce seedlings… the pots are even pretty high off the ground and that doesn’t seem to be stopping them. Any ideas on how to do some exclusion without making things a total eyesore?
DB73C4FB-D04F-407D-AAC9-48E1CDE60CB8.jpeg

Attachments

• 839B66CE-82B5-4607-8653-611EC88B1523.jpeg
    839B66CE-82B5-4607-8653-611EC88B1523.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mice can sometimes be repelled by certain scents as they dislike them, so you could attempt that as it won't affect the looks of your plants. Some examples would be mint, pennyroyal, garlic, cinnamon, camphor, lavender and wormwood. I'm personally growing mint in my garden in hopes of that helping as well, and thusfar the rodents haven't eaten my plants specifically, but they do eat the passionfruit we have a little ways away from my mint.
On top of this some scents can actually be pleasant for us as well, like peppermint oil, cinnamon or dried lavender!

I have heard of people using chili (powder or flakes I don't know) on their plants as it would make them much less appetising to a rodent eating them. Personally I'm not sure if that'd harm seedlings standing in the sun though... If you have multiple pots you could try something else in each of them.

Are you sure it's a mouse?

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We suggest ground Cayenne pepper to our clients to help prevent rabbits from eating their lawn grass. Rabbits are not too keen on spicy food. The problem is as soon as it rains or their irrigation runs, it kills the residual and re-application is necessary.

Maybe it's some insect coming in the night for a munch?

Dan325

Climate
Sub-Tropical
We suggest ground Cayenne pepper to our clients to help prevent rabbits from eating their lawn grass. Rabbits are not too keen on spicy food. The problem is as soon as it rains or their irrigation runs, it kills the residual and re-application is necessary.

Maybe it's some insect coming in the night for a munch?
Mice can sometimes be repelled by certain scents as they dislike them, so you could attempt that as it won't affect the looks of your plants. Some examples would be mint, pennyroyal, garlic, cinnamon, camphor, lavender and wormwood. I'm personally growing mint in my garden in hopes of that helping as well, and thusfar the rodents haven't eaten my plants specifically, but they do eat the passionfruit we have a little ways away from my mint.
On top of this some scents can actually be pleasant for us as well, like peppermint oil, cinnamon or dried lavender!

I have heard of people using chili (powder or flakes I don't know) on their plants as it would make them much less appetising to a rodent eating them. Personally I'm not sure if that'd harm seedlings standing in the sun though... If you have multiple pots you could try something else in each of them.

Are you sure it's a mouse?
Not sure it’s a mouse. I found mouse droppings in my garage and chewed holes in a trash bag, so i know they’re around. But, no, haven’t caught him in the act.

last year, we had a mouse (/rat?) infestation in my apartment complex. I saw them scurrying around all over the place. I had some sweet pepper plants growing and they ate all the fruit. Then they ate all the leaves and I was just left with bare stems. I did catch one last year. But yeah maybe this is an insect… if so, exclusion might not work…

also, I actually do have a mint plant up there. Hasn’t seemed to deter whatever it is unfortunately :(

Dan325

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not sure it’s a mouse. I found mouse droppings in my garage and chewed holes in a trash bag, so i know they’re around. But, no, haven’t caught him in the act.

last year, we had a mouse (/rat?) infestation in my apartment complex. I saw them scurrying around all over the place. I had some sweet pepper plants growing and they ate all the fruit. Then they ate all the leaves and I was just left with bare stems. I did catch one last year. But yeah maybe this is an insect… if so, exclusion might not work…

also, I actually do have a mint plant up there. Hasn’t seemed to deter whatever it is unfortunately :(
I had four pots with lettuce and whatever is is has killed off 3 of them :(

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh no...I hope any of these tips work..
If that doesn't work you could always try netting... Less pretty but your plant might live, at least until it's grown to the point where it could recover even the odd nibble.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My bet would be a rat! Rats are notorious for this. So are possums (are you in Australia?) But possums tend to stop raiding veggie patches this time of year (more a prob in winter). When my seedlings are being scalped it’s almost always a rat.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You just want to stop them knawing off the seedlings - once the plants get several sets of leaves or about 6 inches high the targeting usually stops.

I place a plastic bowel or dome over the seedlings. Cut soft drink bottles work pretty well. Or, raise the seedlings in a small seed raising box like a tiny clear plastic greenhouse (you can buy them purpose made) then plant out into the larger pots when large enough.

Top Bottom