Question Ripening tomatoes and prolonged rainfall....

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by GKW, Feb 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    As the title indicates, I've a decent amount of tomatoes (on vine) anywhere from 50% ripe onwards at present. Picked a ripe one today and noticed two small radical cracks along creases from top to halfway down. Looks like someone with fluid retention in their legs if you know what I mean.

Initial research indicates this can happen due to temp changes (which we have seen in Sydney lately ie very hot 40c+ to now wet and 20c odd) or excessive watering, which is due to the rain now.

So, do I need to pick all my non green / started to get colour tomatoes now and allow to ripen indoors or am I way off the track?

Any thoughts / comments from the collective knowledge base of SSC would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Greg W

2. Pattihabby

Pattihabby Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Greg...I do that. I pick them and let them ripen on a table in my livingroom...Keep out of the sun or they will rot ! Any tomato will be fine picked at the breaker stage ( already starting to turn)...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pattihabby

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I Love Decorating my gardens with things from past generations, like claw foot bath tubs, cast iron sinks, desks, wagon wheels...And things I make, like the depression glass flowers as shown in my Avatar.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. GKW

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Cheers for the feedback. Read this earlier this morning and headed out to the backyard and started picking. A couple more with the radial cracks but still going to eat them in a few days time. Have put in a paper bag with banana to aid ripening. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GKW

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Update....the "Big Rainbow" toms I picked early came up alright post a few days in the paper bag with the banana for company. Cracks presented no issues and they cut well and tasted great. Thanks again @Pattihabby

6. Pattihabby

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    That's Wonderful, Greg ! Now I'm Drooling for a nice juicy tomato !!! Still Snow Covered here in NE Ohio ! :{