Retractable Hose

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Letsgokate, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    After any reviews, experience with retractable hoses of any brand.

I've always had cheap hoses that kink and twist, drives me crazy. Current hose has had it and needs replacing. Hoselink is going to be at the Qld garden show in a few weeks so fingers crossed they have some good deals. I recently bought a few of their products. I've read the posts on hoselink and know they get a good wrap.

For any one who has had a hoselink hose for a while what's you thoughts? How do they compare to the ones you can buy from Bunnings some of which aren't cheap either.

I wanted a retractable this time so I don't have to roll one up, well umm to be truthful I don't do that just leave it on the ground with the sprayer up so it's away from ants dirt etc. So a retractable one would be great, then it's out of the sun :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When I think about the mechanics of me using a retractable hose i think of how firm the spring is & how much it will pull on my arms and cause me pain.
    Then in general if the hose will pull around corners without damaging plants.
    Hoselink say they have a really well designed guide inside the housing to make the hose lay flat as it retracts. Only use will prove that.
    Any cheap one is bound to not wind in nicely and therefore each roll won't lay flat so it might get tangled easily.
    Another thing in favour of hoselink is the wall mount bracket that is far better designed and sturdy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pauljm

Pauljm Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi,
    I have 2 hoselink retractables both 25 metres. The first one I bought didn’t retract properly unless the hose was wet. It was too hard to send it back as we threw the box out. It works ok but doesn’t retract the last few metres. The second one we have works great and both are still good after 2 to 3 years use. The “good one” will retract the full length of the hose no problem. All depends how many obstacles there are as to how hard it is to pull out. To get all 25m out requires 4 or 5 pulls of 6or so metres at a go (again depending on the obstacles)The spray nozzles are good quality although I dropped one on the driveway while watering one day and it broke the housing (no longer usable made from cast aluminium I think). Once you buy one you are kinda committed to their fittings...i now have about 5 hoses all over the yard so it gets expensive but yes they do last and don’t burst off. Hope I have helped.
    Cheers,
    Paul

4. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Paul that is great feedback. I looked them up on product review and although not perfect Hoselink brand has much better reviews that other brands.

Where I will put one is out the front where I can have a pretty good clear run, just have to work out the length. I bought one of their spray nossles last week and really like the shower setting much gentler than my old one.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback much appreciated.

5. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We've had retractable Nylex hoses for quite a few years. (So I can't give you any feedback specific to hoselink sorry).
    Liked the first one enough we got a second. The retract mechanism feeds the hose from side to side so it's never gotten tangled. It has a little "buoy" to stop the end completely retracting inside the container...so you can also now tell how much damage the little bit that sticks out is sustaining from UV. (That's OK, we'll eventually cut that off and start again). If you need to drag it around the garden, you have to pull out the length you want first as I do find if you give it a pull with the hose at full length to get more hose, it starts to recoil on you! I love them as it turns quite a chore into a 2 second job and they look much neater on the wall - plus the container protects the hose from UV. The Nylex ones will allegedly take any standard hose fitting, but we have had some problems with that.
    Based on Pauljm's comments we might also look into Hoselink for our next replacement...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've had one of the cheaper brands from Bunnings before (can't remember the brand) but after a few weeks it would never work as it should... Kept retracting when I didn't want and then stayed out when trying to retract it - can drive a person batty real quick!

I now have two Hoselink hoses that are currently sitting in boxes waiting to install... I should be able to get to it this coming week so I'll give my "first impressions" on them once I have installed.

7. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Mark, I have a standard hoselink hose I bought and it is way better than the old cheapy I had that was driving me crazy. I kept telling Chris my hubby it was horrid. Once I got the new one I moved the one I was using up near the shed, which he used and said how horrible it was, needless to say it's no longer being used as a hose.

I won't be getting the retractable until later in the year unless they have a special on them. I look forward to your review on them as I value your opinion and experience. :)

8. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I installed the Hoselink retractable hose yesterday and it took several hours because it needed to be mounted on a post which I had to cement into the garden bed...

My first impressions of the retractable unit, hose, and revamped/improved hand waterer are positive - it looks and feels very good quality! I'll be testing it out over the next few weeks before doing my review video.

hoselink retractable unit mounted on post.jpg

• Like Like x 1