Renew Economy

Discussion in 'Energy' started by stevo, Feb 21, 2014.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've been checking the "renew economy" site a bit, they have some good articles so I thought i'd make a thread for the energy discussion articles where I can have a whinge when I find good articles.

Check this article: http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/renewable-energy-review-could-have-a-preordained-outcome-29730

It's not looking good for renewable energy at the moment. It seems the current government are either against it or under pressure from big business (mining) not to go down that path. It seems to me that there's just too much money to be lost by the big companies if we want to be green. From everything I've read we have the technology and the ability to really change the way we do things but there's too much bull being spread by business that doesn't want to change.

They have some great articles on that website, I don't take it all as 100% fact, but they present some good points and I don't think solar and wind power get much exposure to the general public as power alternatives.

another interesting article: http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/abbotts-wind-energy-review-waste-taxpayers-money-22688

and solar effecting Origins profits: http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/warm-weather-and-solar-pv-eat-origins-energy-earnings-57604

So when you see the government or experts saying they can't meet the climate change targets, you know it's a load of crap.

Disclaimer: I've had a couple of Friday night rumbos

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes, all very interesting reading indeed - I checked them all out.

I don't know if you followed the local news this week but TV and radio were rerunning/sensationalising an old argument about how solar energy is pushing up electricity bills again especially the commercial channels were putting solar system owners against households without solar and claiming solar owners are to blame for rising energy costs. This is such a LIE!!!! Electricity prices are and would have continued to rise no matter what, and people installing solar systems has nothing to do with energy pressures. Electricity prices began rising out of control (and still are) about 10 years ago due to incompetent governments and very greedy corporate energy giants. They saw the gravy train and smoked it baby!

It's true the government has a solar rebate scheme technically paid for by all but they introduced this to encourage people to buy solar as a way to combat the rising cost of electricity because they have no other answers for the people! How short are peoples memories here in Australia?

It's simple... They were trying to screw the people and we fought back with solar to stop the fleecing and now that we're winning corporate giants use their money and influence to buy commercial TV and radio, to buy government, and try to undermine the renewable energy market in order to protect their fat profits. Well I'm fed up, and so is most of Australia with the growing greed and inequity in this country.

Just like record companies large greedy energy companies will go the dinosaurs and be outflanked by technology and people power... Hell's coming for unfair corporate greed and the little people are right behind him! Ridiculous energy prices is why Australia is losing manufacturing jobs and it's why our economy is depressed and still going nowhere 7 years AFTER the GFC - it's too expensive to live here and it's too expensive to work here and that needs to change fast.

Geez @stevo you've unleashed the beast mate :mad::D

3. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yer I was gonna say, don't hold back there :ROFL: (being sarcastic)

One of those articles somewhere talks about how the government privatised stuff saying it would make electricity cheaper, and it didn't, and so their only answer is to keep privatising things which doesn't make sense.

Renewable energy industry and the little people don't seem to get much publicity though compared to the big mining companies, but i'm not sure what can be done about that.

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm all for a free market society... within reason. But we pride ourselves on the standard of living which was built over 100 years ago and wasn't broken. Part of what made our society great was how we developed safety nets within our society to catch the vulnerable before they fell. Essential utilities provide the basics and if not run by the state should be owned by the state at least.

We should never ever have considered utilities such as water and electricity as profit commodities to sell off it's like a caveman owning and selling the rights to fire - just one mammoth mistake that's bound to go wrong!

5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    another report...

8cent feed in tarrif (from Energex) dropped in Qld.
    http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/queensland-axes-8ckwh-solar-feed-in-tariff-34643

I read a comment elsewhere about how if people started getting in to battery storage then it could severely effect the power companies. That might sound a bit over dramatic, but is an interesting concept. 99.9% of people couldn't afford it, or wouldn't want to pay the high price for battery storage. 99% of people would have extravagant lifestyles that couldn't be run on small affordable offgrid systems anyway.......

but imagine if a few businesses started to offer full off grid systems in TV commercials and it becomes a more "mainstream" concept?

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nice article.

I was one of those ^^

I agree, but I think the pain of people saving on power through solar is already hurting the revenue of electricity retailers and that's the real reason the govt and media is trying to make solar system owners out as the bad guys. Behind the scenes the rich electricity retailers are lobbying the govt and media with big money to try and make the public accept rising power costs but it won't work.

They got too greedy too quick and people just got fed up and switched to solar almost all at the same time and before the retail giants new what happened the damage was done.

Like you are alluding, if they are not careful people will demand removal from the grid altogether and go battery solar (like @Scott Mac ) and then that will see the slow death of electricity retailers and the boom in home power management companies. Battery storage is shrinking and solar tech is leaping fwd fast! Appliances are becoming increasingly power efficient and like you I can see a day when suburbia will give the two fingered salute to grid power once and for all!

7. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Another interesting stat from that article is the uptake of solar is still going strong no matter what the tarrif drops to.

It shows me people are wanting insurance against the never ending electricity rises. Our bill would have been monstrous this summer if it wasn't for a $540 rebate from our solar system (bloody ducted airconditioning) :rolleyes:

All people need to do if they can't get a good tariff is to use as much power through the day as possible like dishwasher, washing machines, and even running the aircon to cool down the house then keep it off at night.

9. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think they are being a little too gloomy because I can't see renewable energy like solar going backwards just because the government has wound back funding. My view is electricity prices (despite the Libs promise to "lower the cost of living") is just going to keep rising and no one will do anything about it. People will feel compelled to protect themselves against these rising costs by installing solar - this is the beginning of solar not the end.

11. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yeah he's a bit of an extremist.
    Someone was asking me about if they could go offgrid to try save money, I told them "it'd cost you heaps to set up, and your fridge is way too big" :ROFL: