Regrow Pineapples from Store Bought Pineapples!

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@Mandy Onderwater I've been watching Mark grow his pineapples just about a month ago that's when I started to grow them. Growing pretty well so far.😁 had to cut off a few dry tid bits though.
16363249849196014866897427263820.jpg

Jason890

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Mandy Onderwater I've been watching Mark grow his pineapples just about a month ago that's when I started to grow them. Growing pretty well so far.😁 had to cut off a few dry tid bits though. View attachment 6106
Never tried to grow these
It was interesting how in the video that the ones at the shop with the top on where more expensive
Like really

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Most people don't grow them because it takes so long for them to start fruiting. I know I nearly didn't. I'm really happy I decided to either way! Whenever my garden dies down because of season changes, my pineapple still stands proudly! It's been 1 year and it's in too small a pot, but it makes me happy having it either way :D

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Never tried to grow these
It was interesting how in the video that the ones at the shop with the top on where more expensive
Like really
I know what you mean by that Jason890, prices for the ones with tops on it are like $2 more compared to the ones with no crown they're like only $2 or $2.50 give or take. Depending on the size too.
I decided to grow them, because how interesting it looked.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Most people don't grow them because it takes so long for them to start fruiting. I know I nearly didn't. I'm really happy I decided to either way! Whenever my garden dies down because of season changes, my pineapple still stands proudly! It's been 1 year and it's in too small a pot, but it makes me happy having it either way :D
Ahh I'm a person with patience 😌. I love watching my plants grow, the new and old. Have you got little pineapple sprouting out yet?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ahh I'm a person with patience 😌. I love watching my plants grow, the new and old. Have you got little pineapple sprouting out yet?
No sprouting yet. I've heard it usually takes 2 years and I've only done 1 so far. I am thinking to repot it to a bigger pot because of Mark's video, to give it a fair chance. And maybe some fertiliser. I've basically just ignored it and watered it every once in a while. Oops. It's inspiring me though! :D

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yeah fertilising will increase it's growth. I've been watching over it since I planted it. Once mine starts to get bigger ill have to transfer it into a bigger pot too.

KathrynJN

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
When I was young, I remember seeing one in my uncle's shade-house that was just starting to fruit. That was in Perth, Western Australia. Even though he was a professional gardener, it shows it can be done.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well good luck with it all hope to see an update in a few months.
Just raged through my garden (repotting and all) and put my pineapple in a much bigger pot (at least 3x the size). Just gotta fertilise it and I'm hoping it'll do well. The rootball was hard as rock, oopsie. :D

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha the waiting pains me also. I’ve had one plant I bought from bunnings (my 2 years old picked it out - he’s now 4.5 and keeps asking me when it will fruit!). Have another top I threw in a year ago. No sign of fruit on either.
I do get a laugh when I see pineapples for sale in the shops without tops. Always thought it was a stingy thing for the seller to do (cut the tops off) and so got a laugh in Mark’s vid where he makes similar comment.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha the waiting pains me also. I’ve had one plant I bought from bunnings (my 2 years old picked it out - he’s now 4.5 and keeps asking me when it will fruit!). Have another top I threw in a year ago. No sign of fruit on either.
I do get a laugh when I see pineapples for sale in the shops without tops. Always thought it was a stingy thing for the seller to do (cut the tops off) and so got a laugh in Mark’s vid where he makes similar comment.
For some reason they look less tasty without the tops to me. Maybe I'm weird.
I'm loving every single one of my plants, even if they're not acting the way they should sometimes. Today I ripped everything out of it's pots and repotted or tried to rescue what was left of some of them. I'll see in about a weeks time what survived :D

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For some reason they look less tasty without the tops to me. Maybe I'm weird.
I'm loving every single one of my plants, even if they're not acting the way they should sometimes. Today I ripped everything out of it's pots and repotted or tried to rescue what was left of some of them. I'll see in about a weeks time what survived :D
Hope the hail leaves them alone for ya

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I forgot I had planted 2 tops a few years ago until I decided to start up my vege patch again this year. I found them hiding among a heap of grass, in which they still are 🤣. I must move them to a place where they'll actually thrive. I've also got a top sitting on my kitchen bench for the last 2 months (oops) that I need to plant. I thought it would be dead by now but in Marks video he's inspired me to actually plant it!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah they survive really well! I'm almost thinkin of telling people to put it up as a started plant. No, you won't get fruit, but it'll survive about anything and can help teach what works and what doesnt (mine shows difference now that I've repotted it in proper soil and thrown a little fertiliser in with it). And it would have saved me some heartache over my first plants also as they seem rather disease resistant.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
well... I got as far as pulling them out but I haven't replanted them yet lol!

I did, however, dig up my old corn, till the soil, put guinea pig manure in it, mulched with rhodes grass, then replanted more sweet corn. Hopefully the guinea pig poo goes ok with the new crop.

Top Bottom