Recycling is OVER!

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by ClissAT, Jun 3, 2018.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  2. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I try & just do in home recycling.
    Paper/cardboard/greenwaste gets composted.
    Glass jars get used for storage/drinking glasses.
    Plastic containers turn into pots for seedlings.

The only things I haven't yet found a use for is the bags that rice/pasta/sugar come in & long life milk cartons that have a coating on them. I could probably use the cartons for seedlings too though.

3. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You could put screws & nails & other small things in the clear plastic bags, Andrew, & line them all up on a shelf at eye level.
    Eventually they would deteriorate so they had to be thrown away but at least they had a second life for a while.
    By that time you would have a new etc bag & pour the contents from the old into the new bag.
    Of course coffee jars have always done that job with ease.

Today while resting my back at lunchtime I watched Friday nights news that I recorded.
    One news item was about the Qld state gov't now charging the councils a levy to dispose of the recycle 'waste' because it now does not go OS. It will be in the range of $70ton.
    Some silly gov't person said this new levy would not impact rate payers!
    What a load of BS! Have you ever heard of a council that absorbed so significant a charge?

So it is our (the ratepayers) fault that China won't take our recycling anymore so now we have to pay even more to dispose of it on top of our usual rubbish disposal & collection fees.
    Did not the gov't have their finger on the pulse & know this was coming years ago?
    Why is it that NSW sends truckloads of recycle waste already up to Qld to be buried because we don't charge them a fee?
    Rather than the Qld ratepayers footing the bill, why not charge the users such as NSW govt?

4. AndrewB

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yep, you will absolutely be paying for it in your rates.

I don't think the government understands just how reliant we are on China. They are so focused on name calling & dirt digging that they have no vision beyond the next scandal.

The recycling issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Once China raise prices, we will realize just how much of our industry has been lost. Short of food, we make next to nothing that doesn't rely on China for materials.

Back on the recycling though I've just turned a 1 liter milk carton into a drip waterer for a hanging basket, they dry out so quickly here, even when watering daily.

5. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I read somewhere a while ago that not much glass isn't recycled any more because it's cheaper just to create new glass. I always thought for things like that, we could just create massive glass dumps in the country where all glass was taken and dumped and stored for future use, counting on future developments in technology to create new uses for it. Same with plastic or anything else. But it would cost money to do that too so may not be practical. It'd be like creating stores or future resources. We can't use it now but maybe we could in 50 years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AndrewB

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's a great point.

There is a 19 year old who is attempting to clean up ocean plastic right now. They are about to do their first major trial in the Great pacific garbage patch.

As part of the process, they are developing technology to recycle plastics which are normally considered unusable. This new tech could likely be applied to improve our current processes.

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/

• Like Like x 1
  7. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo, according to "War on Waste" Craig Reucassel, on ABC TV last year there already are huge glass & plastic mountains all over the place in several 'westernized' countries just waiting for technology to catch up with use rates so these mountains can be whittled down.

http://www.abc.net.au/ourfocus/waronwaste/

Soon there will be the next series of this show & one of the earlier shows will go further into the NSW dumping of their waste into Qld dump sites.
    That will be interesting to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    ahhh, so there's already people working on these things, excellent. Hope is not lost then. I wonder if in 1000 years our current landfill rubbish dumps become a resource.