Tip Recycle hot beverage container to worm farm

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 17, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I eyed a thrown away hot coffee beverage container from nursing home. An in a instant I knew it could be a worm farm
I am new at posting pictures but I made sure I did most step by step pictures for you’ll. I used grit guard , 1/8 inch mesh and cardboard on bottom, filled with leaves, shredder paper, cardboard and compost. Soaked with worm tea. Put one over ripe banana with worm chow. Small amount of worm chow. Covered with soaked burlap and placed next to shredder in laundry room!!! Hope you enjoy pictures!

Attachments

Fergzter

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Ballarat VIC
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thats awesome. So much creativity of different containers used for worm farms of late. Well done!

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 16, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Love it! I feed all my fruit/veg scraps to the neighborhood deer. Its funny watching them try to eat watermelon rinds. We have gnats in the house all the time, I think a worm bin would attract more. How’s it been for you? Do you get gnats? Does it smell?

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 17, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My favorite is worm composting! Had them inside for years. I like the worm bin with wheels. Only issue is taking off tray because they become very heavy to empty. No problem with nats because the come with a lid. Odor can be a problem if over feeding or not covering food with browns. Those 10 gallon tubs work nice but again get heavy to empty. Hope that helps
You have at hand the best soil conditioner & fertilizer. I always add worms & castings to my plants , it does wonders!