Recommended reading

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What is everyone's favourite gardening/self sufficiency books?
I haven't got any of these types of books yet and I'm looking for recommendations.
What are the ones you always go back to that are well used, dog-eared, and almost at the point of falling apart?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The ones we have are Gardening Guide by the brand Yates, written by Harper Collins. Under my desk is currently the 44th edition, but we have many of the older ones laying around as well. They provide great information for all types of climates.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The ones we have are Gardening Guide by the brand Yates, written by Harper Collins. Under my desk is currently the 44th edition, but we have many of the older ones laying around as well. They provide great information for all types of climates.
Thanks Mandy!
Thanks to you giving me the heads up about this book in another thread, this morning I ordered it and also
Tropical Food Gardens: A Guide to Growing Fruit, Herbs and Vegetables in Tropical and Sub-tropical Climates by Leonie Norrington

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
1636854507242.jpeg

Cobbadiggabuddyblooo

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I looked at reference books too Helen but found most of what I needed from either SSme videos or information online and jotted down my own notes.
Preparation preparation preparation is the key to success I’ve found starting from the soil up.
PH soil test kit was one of the best investments ,
Choices of plants it’s fundamental to know the temperature thresholds they will germinate and grow as well as PH.
Once you’ve found this information you can look at the amount of sun or shade they need, prepare the garden bed where they are to be planted with the appropriate organic fertiliser to suit the plants needs.
Look on an overall 12 month plan for the garden bed due to summer/winter hrs of sunlight that may impact the bed, succession planting on quick growing veges or if a long slow grower and time for the bed to rest fallow for a little while or your changing from a nitrogen feeder to a root crop once the nitrogen balance drops to suit carrots and alike.
Why I chose this way was because I found even with Mark living within sight of me , being 500m higher it’s quite common for a 4* difference and in temperature and humidity isn’t so much of an issue for me yet we are within cooeee of each other.

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's not really aimed at a selected region, just general information

Attachments

• IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I was recently given a book from a friend called, The Preserving Book, by Lynda Brown. I've only given it a speed read so far, but it's got a lot of great stuff in there that I'm keen to try later It covers jams, freezing, drying, preserving in oil, pickling, wine making, salting, smoking, curing, and some other things I'd never heard of. ISBN 978-1-4053-5628-2

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was recently given a book from a friend called, The Preserving Book, by Lynda Brown. I've only given it a speed read so far, but it's got a lot of great stuff in there that I'm keen to try later It covers jams, freezing, drying, preserving in oil, pickling, wine making, salting, smoking, curing, and some other things I'd never heard of. ISBN 978-1-4053-5628-2
wow that sounds like it has everything you could need in it!

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Two items I got recently was Adam Grubb & Annie Raser-Rowland's Weed Forager's Handbook: A Guide to Edible and Medicinal Weeds in Australia (Melbourne: Highland House, 2012). Nearly memorised all of those now so foraging for wild greens is getting much easier.

To this I added Tim Low's classic Wild Food Plants of Australia (Sydney: Angus & Robertson, revised edition 1991). While not comprehensive by any means, it fits in my pocket just fine and contains about 180 items I am currently memorising and trying to identify when I'm roaming the wilds of NSW. I was most pleased to discover milkmaids growing on a sidewalk near my work, which I may endeavour to dig up at a later time.

This way I don't need to spend any effort in growing anything -- nature does it all for me.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Two items I got recently was Adam Grubb & Annie Raser-Rowland's Weed Forager's Handbook: A Guide to Edible and Medicinal Weeds in Australia (Melbourne: Highland House, 2012). Nearly memorised all of those now so foraging for wild greens is getting much easier.

To this I added Tim Low's classic Wild Food Plants of Australia (Sydney: Angus & Robertson, revised edition 1991). While not comprehensive by any means, it fits in my pocket just fine and contains about 180 items I am currently memorising and trying to identify when I'm roaming the wilds of NSW. I was most pleased to discover milkmaids growing on a sidewalk near my work, which I may endeavour to dig up at a later time.

This way I don't need to spend any effort in growing anything -- nature does it all for me.
I might have to put these on my wish list :D

Top Bottom