Raspberries - This is our raspberry thread

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thought I would start a raspberry thread since I spent a good few hours today tending to my raspberry canes.

There are many different varieties of raspberries some which need cold weather to trigger fruiting and other types that will fruit in warmer climates (low chill varieties). Also, different varieties of raspberries fruit at different times of year.

I have a variety called Heritage and it fruits late spring and into summer. My raspberry patch used to be in a square garden bed with a flimsy wire trellis to keep the canes in position but I found after a few seasons it just got out of control and difficult to manage.

Since then, I moved the canes to a more sturdy trellis in a narrow rectangular row and I'm finding this to be a much better setup.

What I did today was to start getting the dormant canes ready for the coming spring - I have lots more work to do but essentially it's just a matter of tidying the canes up and getting rid of the winter weeds. I like to weave the canes through the trellis where possible and tie those that can't be weaved or platted with others. It's also a good idea to thin some out if it's too overgrown in places.

Most varieties have thorns so wearing gloves helps make the job more pleasant :)

The image below shows my "prickly patch" raspberries, dragon fruit, and pineapples.​
    Raspberries prickly patch pineapples and dragonfruit.jpg
    Raspberries fruit pretty well when established usually in the second season on last years developed canes.

Raspberries home grown 800.jpg
    The bowls of raspberries below were gathered at a mates place and are not mine so I can't claim this awesome harvest :D

Raspberries from Hughesy minurso 2.jpg
    Here's my raspberry mess before I started cleaning it up today. This coming spring will be only the second season since I moved them so I am hoping for a good first crop around December.

raspberry canes dormant mess.jpg
    More to follow over...

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

My grandfather used to have awesome raspberries when I was a kid.
    I remember his used to be on 2 narrow parallel rows which made it easier to move between and collect the goods!
    But you are right they are a prickly little sod but well worth the off prick IMHO.

Definitely on my list....

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Getting there :heat: Still lots of work to do - I've got scratches everywhere from these prickly buggers!

raspberry canes get ready for spring.jpg

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's the same raspberry canes a few months later with leaves and there's hundreds of raspberries forming with some already ripening. The overhead tunnel netting helps deter birds (even though it's open on the sides).

raspberry trellis.jpg

We should be picking raspberries right through from now until Xmas :)

raspberries ripening.jpg

5. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Nice setup Mark.
    Nice photo too.

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Steve - yeah I'm really happy with the way it has worked.

7. steve h

steve h Active Member Premium Member

love it when is the best time to plant

8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Cheers mate, Growth starts in early spring so in our area planting late August or early September is best; however, potted raspberries can be planted at any time really.

Raspberries grow from cuttings really easily. A few years back I did some pruning of old growth and threw them on the lawn then I lazily ran over the pile in my lawn mower and mulched the off-cuts into the grass. A few months later, I had dozens of tiny raspberry plants popping up through the lawn around that area! I kept mowing over most until they perished but I did pull out about 12 and potted them up for transplanting. If you do some pruning in late winter and you need some more plants just cut the canes in about 8 inch pieces and bung them in a good potting mix with a regular water they should strike quite easily.

Also, raspberry plants produce suckers (and that's one reason I try to keep my plants contained in a garden bed) these suckers can be removed and used to make new plants or left grow as new canes for the next season - they probably will not fruit in the first season but will definitely fruit the next year.

If you need to buy some to start off then don't go overboard and just buy one or two plants then propagate them yourself over time because they grow really fast.