Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here is some more information about my Rambo outdoor wok burner as promised from my YouTube video.

The image below is the specs plate from the Rambo wok burner (click image for large size).

Specs for Rambo outdoor wok burner.jpg

This is the high pressure gas regulator, which is required to deliver the gas power for the intense flame of the Rambo wok burner.

Gas regulator rambo outdoor wok burner.jpg

The wok burner has a simple dial to regulate the flame, which is also a piezo static electric start but you could use a gas lighter as sometimes the piezo can be temperamental.

Control knob and starter Rambo wok burner.jpg

Here is my Rambo wok burner on a wooden stand I made. It also comes with a stainless pan which goes under the burner. The surface where the wok burner is placed should be heat resistant. The gas hose has a generous length 1.8 metres.

Rambo wok burner gas regulator and hose.jpg

For travelling, I pack the burner as-is with some rubber matting as dunnage inside then I place the whole thing in a plastic trunk.

Rambo wok burner on homemade wooden stand.jpg

The burner cost me $150 plus delivery and has turned out to be be great for use at home or camping. You can get the Rambo Wok Burner here on eBay.

Below, is the YouTube video I made with a demonstration on how to use the Rambo wok burner.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Outdoor wok burner on top of my old pot belly stove makes a nice spot for cooking - good height and can stand the heat.

Outdoor wok cooking on this burner is amazingly fast and gives a light smoky flavour to the food. I usually use the burner in conjunction with my Weber (BBQ) so on one hand I'm sizzling the sausages for the kids and on the other I'm stir frying up a chilli Thai chicken sensation for the adults.

Unless you are cooking a lot of meat it is not necessary to cook in batches with this wok burner because it burns so hot the meat doesn't have time to stew (which can happen on a conventional wok inside on a stove top).

outdoor wok on pot belly stove.jpg
outdoor wok on pot belly stove close.jpg

armysnail

Premium Member
They used one of those to make hot chips for the lads in a wok when we were staying at Kota Tinggi.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They used one of those to make hot chips for the lads in a wok when we were staying at Kota Tinggi.
Really, I guess hot chips would work because the oil gets super hot fast! I've never been to Malaysia (missed that trip) it would have been good.

armysnail

Premium Member
Give it a try. All the Malaysian potatoes are yellow by the way. When I first saw them I thought they curried everything. :crazy:

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Gotta be real careful with boiling oil and open flame. Whoompah!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gotta be real careful with boiling oil and open flame. Whoompah!
You certainly do! I made deep fried salt and pepper quail on the weekend for the visiting family - it went down a treat and all done on this wok burner but you do need to be careful yes.

P.S Salt and pepper quail video coming soon... :p

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
I haven't read your quail posts yet, but I remember Dad used to get flat ones marinated in oil and herbs from a Greek truckie and do them on the barby. Absolutely superb!!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I haven't read your quail posts yet, but I remember Dad used to get flat ones marinated in oil and herbs from a Greek truckie and do them on the barby. Absolutely superb!!
I need to document more quail cooking stuff... I've been so slack :rolleyes: Yes, butterflied and grilled are are top way to do them!

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
My gas heater for large metal items is a small oxy-acetylene heating tip, with a home- made shroud. Because there is no regulator, a primus jet is used. Those remanufactured old gas rings also work alright for woks and are cheap.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love this thing - it's a real hit at BBQ's. Yeah, whatever you use the key is getting that heat really pumping out for a good wok fry up.

Top Bottom