Raised bed/trelzilla hybrid - my last raised bed - sorta hugelkultur

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'day all, I know I haven't been very active lately but I'm still lurking when I get a chance. I'm on leave atm, and uni has wrapped up for the year so we know what that means! Building time.

So I present to you, my latest sorta hugelkultur raised bed. As you can see in the before pic, next doors crappy grass kept growing through. I've tried cardboard, weed matting, round up (over the fence - vacant block). Nothing worked long term.

The bricks and soil was all removed, pulling the grass runners as I went. Not a single worm to be found in 4m³ of soil/clay I removed.

A trip to bunnings and $800 odd later i had my materials (birdies to fill same area with no trellis was over $1200). Spent the next few days building and filling. Bricks on the bottom, followed by the depleted soil (screened again for runners). 2m³ of bush mulch on top of that (my hugelkultur component), followed by 2 wheelbarrows of composted chook poo.

At this point I added the 180cm trellis (I can reach to the top by walking along the front wooden capping). A final 2m³ of premium veggie soil to top it off.

Couldnt really move for a few days after that, but today we've planted some corn, tomatoes, peanuts and various flowers and mulched. Very pleased with the outcome.

This concludes my raised bed building escapades at this house, we've ran outta room. Time to sit back and reap the rewards (and probably finish the kids fort haha!!)

Happy gardening

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Very modern, using child labour :ROFL:
Haha, bet the kids had a blast too, feeling like they helped! It looks stunning, and with the sore back, at least you won't have to bend over anymore to garden that area ;)

Looks real good nice job, chuckle a wee bit mandy beat me tho was going to ask the rate pay on childe labor 🤭 they looked like that were having fun helping daddy make his garden beds

garden bed looks awesome
well done
dave

Haha, no doubt the kids were completely satisfied with that! Heck, I still might do things if people offered me highfives and zooperdoopers :blush:

Haha, no doubt the kids were completely satisfied with that! Heck, I still might do things if people offered me highfives and zooperdoopers :blush:
LOL zooperdoopers we know what you will do with those mand wrap body in hand fulls of them to get cooled off

Haha, sure do! I actually sometimes use zooperdoopers instead of icecubes in drinks - helps prevent them getting watered down! Added bonus is that as they melt, they bring their own flavour and mix to something new. It's quite nice. I love adding the lemon flavoured zooperdooper to a cold glass of coca cola :D

Back
Top Bottom