Raised Bed no1 starting to take shape

MickyC

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Almost got the first of three raised beds ready for soil just added horse manure to the tree mulch the bed in the background will need more tree branches before I add tree mulch it’s been hard going with the daily showers and humidity really wanting to get them up and running Cheers and Stay Safe

I’d like to get things going now but common sense tells me to wait a little longer also just getting the soil in is hard work narrowing up hill is tough especially with muddy soil so I’ll probably get my mate with a bobcat to at least move the soil up to each level and I can shovel it in from there if it’s okay I’ll post progress reports in the future

Wo
I’d like to get things going now but common sense tells me to wait a little longer also just getting the soil in is hard work narrowing up hill is tough especially with muddy soil so I’ll probably get my mate with a bobcat to at least move the soil up to each level and I can shovel it in from there if it’s okay I’ll post progress reports in the future
Would love to see the progress!
What are you thinking of planting in them?

We try to keep things simple basically we only grow what we use most days ie carrots, onions, spinach, garlic, peas, beans, a few different varieties of tomatoes, shallot’s, lettuce as well as a few citrus trees and not to forget zucchini and cucumbers

Last edited:
We try to keep things simple basically we only grow what we use most days ie carrots, onions, spinach, garlic, peas, beans, a few different varieties of tomatoes, shallot’s, lettuce as well as a few citrus trees and not to forget zucchini and cucumbers
Which species of lettuce do you grow? I've been trying to find one that works but they keep bolting on me. And I forget what Mark grows. :p

To be honest the only seeds that I have are iceberg and I know that it’s been a while since I’ve grown any and I think I had problems as well , next time I will try insect mesh doubled up to cut the sun maybe that might stop them from bolting I’m no expert I’ll just give it a try

To be honest the only seeds that I have are iceberg and I know that it’s been a while since I’ve grown any and I think I had problems as well , next time I will try insect mesh doubled up to cut the sun maybe that might stop them from bolting I’m no expert I’ll just give it a try
Ahh fair enough. I think it's too hot for me to try growing them right now regardless. Temperatures were up to 37 degrees Celcius today.
I'd love to hear how you go if you decite to :D

Hello to everyone just touching base I haven’t progressed with the raised beds as the rain here has been horrendous hoping it backs off now so I can move forward with the beds the only addition I have made is to get a water tank into position as well as 2 concrete slabs for a set of garden stairs . Also as I’m not getting any younger have been thinking of a powered wheelbarrow to make life a little easier
I’m not sure if it’s the way to go I would like to hear your opinions thanks

I've have been a little busy lately and have progressed in the garden now that the rain has cleared ground is still very wet around the place but at least I've stopped slipping over on the hill i admit that i know very little but i have been learning especially plant lay out in the beds but its very relaxing and it keeps me fit have also installed a rainwater tank for the beds with a gravity feed

That looks absolutely amazing. Your plants look quite healthy.
How do you keep the hill from washing out when it rains? And what do you use as fertiliser? :D

We have a very skilled excavator operator that just happens to live in the same street and it was all dug out out of consolidated ground just before the big rains in February as for fertiliser just blood and bone every couple of weeks lichen scraps buried in the soil I filled with is from our dam that is 2 years old I still have a huge pile left over so happy me

Thank you Jas it definitely keeps me busy I’m really enjoying the whole process

Back
Top Bottom