Rainy garden show-off

little birds like the chickadees. They're adorable! Do you have any similar species down there in Oz?
Quite a lot. The most common are the willie wagtails [LINK] (I like the Kimberley name tjiditjidi, pronounced chitty-chitty, which is very much like it's constant chattering call) and the fairy wrens [LINK] (the latter being my wife's fav Aussie bird).

We do indeed have willy wagtails here! When I head into town they tend to frequent the parks. I'm not sure if I've seen fairy wrens, but they might be a little too far south from us.
The little birdies we have make dome nests (after some googling I found that it's called that). They have multiple nests around the property, one hanging off of the clothesline, one hanging off of a vine of our dying passionfruit, and one hung in a tree, but fell out during a storm (I checked for eggs, thankfully none). Granddad says that these birds make a lot of nests in advance and they pick one of those still hanging/safe. Wish I knew their name though (or recall what they looked like so I could google).

My spring onions have bloomed and the native bees are loving it 😊
Rainy garden show-off

the fairy wrens [LINK] (the latter being my wife's fav Aussie bird).
I can see why! They are so cute! I love that the males will find "presents" to give to his mate.

In my old garden, we had quite a variety of native birds: Bluejays, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, the ubiquitous House Sparrow, Downy woodpecker, Flickers, Robins, House finch, American Goldfinch, and of course the Northern Cardinal.

It's a toss-up for me which was my favorite. The robins used to be my herald of spring arriving. There was a flock of them that would arrive every year right around Valentine's Day a.k.a. Feb. 14th and perch in my favorite tree, a sugar maple. Their bright red breasts would remind me of the brilliant leaves of that tree in the fall. This is a photo of that tree from a few years ago, taken somewhere around late October I'd guess. Literally, the entire yard would turn an orange tint when the sun would hit it. Definitely the thing I miss the most about fall down here in Florida. Northeast fall leaves are a spectacle that I dearly loved.
Sugar Maple.jpg

My next favorite bird is either the Carolina Wren or the finches. The wrens would take up residence in a little birdhouse I'd hung off the front porch awning. They'd come back every year, clean it out and start over.
Birdhouse.jpg

They'd even let me take a peek at the eggs and the babies without too much protesting! It was always a thrill.
The finches, whether the House or the Gold, would give us quite a close-up through the kitchen window as they'd sit on the feeder.
House finch.jpg

They were a bright spot of color in the crab winter season.

Here in Florida I've only seen the Cardinals and Bluejays consistently. When I had a bird feeder active, I also saw my first Painted Bunting, Brown Thrasher, and another that I've yet to identify, but, it appears to be in the Mocking Bird family.

ETA: I know I need to get more variety of food/feeders to attract more here and I plan on it as soon as I can afford it. Soon! Very Soon!

Last edited:
Granddad thinks the little birds that frequent us are "little yellow honeyeaters" but I'm not sure as after some Google-ing their nests look different from what we have here;
Rainy garden show-off

Granddad thinks the little birds that frequent us are "little yellow honeyeaters" but I'm not sure as after some Google-ing their nests look different from what we have here;
View attachment 7765
Nectarinia jugularis, yellow bellied sunbird I think. They build nests just like that, and they're a NQld regular.

I'm not sure. I don't recall them having a curved beak; but then again I don't remember what they look like... I hope to see them again soon!

Part 2 of this thread on 19/12/22 :

Back
Top Bottom