Question (rainwater) pipe extension with no pipe

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 19, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there :) ,
in my unfathomable wisdom (and .. un-will to travel to the city to buy the pipe extension), I have following issue:
I have an over-fill basin in my front garden (in case the manholes overflow > so that the cellar doesn't flood) - which is rather dangerous to maintain with the lawn-mower.
Thus, I have reformed it.
However, I would need to extend a pipe (the rainwater outlet from the roof) and as mentioned, I have no extension.
> pictures:

Before:
Loch mit Wasser+.jpg
IMG_20200419_113006 - Copy.jpg

Now:
IMG_20200719_130853.jpg

Problem zone:
IMG_20200719_122214.jpg IMG_20200719_122229.jpg IMG_20200719_122240.jpg

--> To successfully fill that space between pipe and main hole I somehow to need to bridge the pipe part.
Materials I have:
- cement (packaged)
- gravel (note; no sand, so I can make concrete but no cement per se)
- a rain gutter (half open... like semi-cut)
- lots of (naturally formed) red-sandstone
- wood planks

I was thinking to lay some concrete on the bottom earth-part of the pipe and covering it with the gutter, or perhaps creating a pipe with concrete with the help of planks (to form)......... but if anyone has better ideas, do share!

- thanks.

Last edited:

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've got a rubble pit down in the backyard (lower part of the block) and it takes some of the rainwater run-off from the back of the house. House is older than me and it's worked a treat in the many years I've lived here. If the rain gets too heavy and persistent, only twice have I seen the water seep through to the surface and pool. It's just filled with old broken brick and some old alsynite across the top, then back fill the top few inches with soil and leveled. How do I know this...after a few years of living here I noticed a dip in the lawn, I dug down to find the pit and exposed it for a look-see then put it back the way it was (cos it worked) and leveled the ground. Simple is the best and the water that flows in will be absorbed in the main by the surrounding soil.

So, unless you want to go to the expense of putting in a large concrete retention tank, or a rainwater tank on the down pipe, I'd dig it 2 to 3 times deeper, twice as wide, place the guttering upside down from exposed pipe into pit, then back fill with broken rock and brick, then cover and back fill as above.