Quails

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Just thought I would give an update on our Quails.
We originally had 8 quail. We gave 2 to my daughter and kept 6 then hatched another 33 in the incubator.
I then had the problem of how to house them all.
I had read an article about using mesh to make a dome shape. So I joined 2 together and anchored them with sleepers at the bottom.
I found other bits and pieces to make a door and used some corrugated iron around 2 sides just for protection from the wind. I have since added some shade cloth as well.
I attached heavy gauge chicken wire to all sides and both ends to prevent predators from entering and also to stop the quail from escaping.
I put down a pallet and rested a 44 gallon drum on it with straw in it to protect them from the weather. They don't use the drum much but often lay under the drum. So I added an old bread crate and raised it up off the ground. They love it.
This is all under a small gum tree for a bit of shade in the summer and protected from the hot wind.
I have noticed that the quail drink a lot of water.
I put a very small zip tie on one leg of each of the older quail so that I know the difference as I intend to sell some of the second lot.
quails.png

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks good, I'm just starting. Just got some babies in the brooder and finishing my coop.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am also a complete novice at keeping Quail. We are on our second hatch now with A&M`s. As I have only one outside run, can we mix different age groups. I have a notion to wait until the second batch reaches maturity.

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I found that after about 6 weeks the quails all looked the same so I couldn't tell which were the younger ones. So I decided to put a tiny zip tie on one leg of each of the older quail before I put them together. I'm not sure if there are commercial bands for this purpose. It seems to have worked and they don't bother or irritate the older birds at all.
I love the quail they are very curious little things and love anything new introduced into their pen.
We had some over sized zucchini so I cut them in half and put them in their pen. They soon hollowed them out and now they love to sit inside the shells.
They also love fresh dry sand to dust bath in. I use a long pot planter with the tray underneath. Stops all the sand disappearing all at once.
Have fun with your quail.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Our A&M`s grow apace but their white feathers are developing brown patches, so I guess they are a bit cross breed. I like the zip tie idea. That's one to remember:thumbsup:. I am thinking that I should sort out some sort of mulch for the new run, which is nearly finished. The stuff that Mark uses is not available over here so have you any advice as to alternatives?

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm not sure what you have available Wayland but I often use raked up gum leaves and leaf litter from under the trees. They love to get under anything. I put in some smaller branches leaned up against the wall with the leaves hanging down. I find straw isn't as good, as it packs down fairly quickly.
Sometimes I put in tufts of grass even some old pot plants growing weeds or grass. We are also trialling some silverbeet in planters with wire over the top so they can pick at it but not scratch it out. Hope this helps.
quails.png

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Many thanks for the interesting ideas. Leaf mulch sounds good. Cheers.

Top Bottom