ppfd meter with smart phone

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
hey found something very interesting, and something you may be interested in. on my iphone I downloaded the App
( Korona-grow light ) and took a piece of bright white 20# paper to cover the front camera so it filters the light as shown in the linked video below went to a buddies place and we tested my light i built with his apogee MQ501 and my phone on sunlight ppfd was within 1 to 5 points of his 500+ dollar light meter

youtube.com/watch?v=t0umUgrS_UE

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
made a small mod to the pvc tube he uses in the video and made a notch because my iphone has a case that didn't allow the tube to center over the camera.

i have full spectrum white led light i made 2x4 feet in size with 2:1 ( 3000k red / 5000k blue ) 888 total LED's. running two mean-well 100 watt power supplies total watt draw on killa-watt meter at 209.7 ( that includes the draw the mean-well circuits draw ) . manufacture of LED total draw of LED should be at 177 watts grow area is just slightly larger then light 28x54 inch so results-
center of light
pvc places on camera 337 ppfd
pvc with notch - centered 346 ppfd

at extreme corners
pvc placed on camera 144ppf
pvc with notch - centered 155 ppfd

so .7 to 1.6 uj /w depends where you read. The light is the test light i built shown in the tiny tim tomato photos, not going to complain too much on light output for test light and the grow are isn't finished for reflective sheet across the bottom and front open so light not fully contained and reflected back in as would be in real grow condition

Attachments

• lens2.jpg
    lens2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 147

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
With my printer online again for 3d printing i made a filter to go over the front camera on my iPhone to replace the cut piece of PVC 20lb white paper glued on top.

At top it is 30 mm Outside diameter 16 mm tall , the base is notched to clear the case i have on phone, top has a recessed area to glue in a printed cover, i tested this side by side with an apogee dli light meter and adjusted the thickness of the diffuser cover as compared to an apogee versus iPhone camera for reading. Cover is 1.25 mm thick of white petg plastic and has .01 variation of light reading with adaptor as printed.
app used on iPhone is Photone seems is now available for the galaxy phone with android operating system its free in you app store or download and look over info here

https://growlightmeter.com/download/

book mark here for the app calculator as a good reference whether you use the light meter app on not it gives a good light guide for various vegetables , house plants and that funny medicinal herb many smoke. i just found they had added this today so will be looking it over closely to dbl check there numbers and mine

https://growlightmeter.com/calculator/

Image (49).jpeg Image (47).jpeg Image (45).jpeg Image (43).jpeg

and a screenshot from phone under the current grow lights at 14 inches above grow bed
Image (50).jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom