Plants to deter mozzies

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 26, 2016
North Brisbane
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ok, I just walked outside and got carried away by the mozzies. Any suggestions on what I can plant.
I've read that sage, rosemary, mint , lemon teatree.
So I thought, perhaps a lemon teetree hedge around the outdoor area might help - has anybody had good results from any of this, or what do you use, other than Aeroguard :)

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I really like the smell of Lad's Love (Artemesia abrotanum), if I'm in the garden around sunset I run my hands through it & rub it on any exposed skin, not that there is much of that at this time of year!

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 16, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
There are so many different mosquito types that what works for one doesn’t work for another. I’ve tried all types of plants, essential oils and such. They don’t work where I live.

Even the military grade chemical sprays like DEET only work if you saturate yourself all over. The mosquitoes always seem to find a spot that I missed or was sweated off. Picardin and the Avon brand Bug guard are less harsh but somewhat effective for me.

Insect clothing is not effective and too hot to wear in the extreme heat.

The thermacell device works in a small area and costs$$$ to keep using it. Currently using a bug zapper with a mosquito attractant. It helps but again not 100%. I’m trying some new trap devices that I hope will cut down on the local population. We will see if they work.

I put up a bat house hoping to get some to stay in the yard. So far it’s still vacant. I might need to move it’s location to entice them to use it. I’m thinking of purple Martin houses next.

I’ve even tried all of the oral supplements like: B vitamins, garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar pills . ...
They didn’t work even when taken for months and all at the same time.

Removing all standing water in your yard and spraying with pyrethrin has helped the most. Putting small goldfish in a stock tank has also helped. Mosquito Dunks or bits placed in standing water like self watering planters helps too. Placing copper coins in the containers works also. Figuring out how many to use for the amount of water is the tricky part.

I am always on the lookout for a new more natural method to lower the mosquito population. If anyone has an effective method I’d like to hear about it.

Last edited:

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I found the only thing to work at my place is to not be outside at that time of the afternoon and early dusk.
Finish up early and go inside behind the insect screens and don't leave doors open.
My mozzies are most active 3 days before rain, then disappear once the rain is gone.
I don't have to forego every dusk, just those before rain.
So I treat them as a signal of rainy days ahead which is a nice thing since we have been in drought for 3 solid years.
However back in the days when we were getting rain every few days, they were around constantly because there was rain more frequently.