Pithecellobium dulce, the Manila Tamarind interesting fruit

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Is anyone growing or interested in growing Pithecellobium dulce, the Manila Tamarind?

It is not cold tolerant when young but grows VERY quickly and is nitrogen fixing. I bought seeds, planted 9 and 6 were growing in just 4 days !!!

I am getting to know a young couple in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas and their tree is 5 years old and is already taller than their oak trees !! They gave me the 1 year old tree in the pic below.

Folks have told me the fruit is delicious and it is so beautiful ... check out the pics

Manila tamarind mature tree in McAllen Tx..jpg Pithecellobium dulce Manila Tamarind.jpg Manila Tamaring_resized.jpg

I will take pics of the fast growing seedlings tomorrow for your viewing pleasure.

I hope I have piqued your interest - Happy Gardening !!
P J, the Dirt Diva

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think it may be too cold here during the winter. I am attempting to grow Moringa this summer though, so if that survives next winter, I may give it a shot, if I can find a spot to fit it in :)
Hey Andrew,
I have quite a few seeds now, but have been told they are only viable for about 6 months, so if you want some, now is the time to acquire them. I have no idea how long it will be before I have fruit. Let me know if interested, otherwise I will just keep you apprised of my progress.
Happy Gardening,
P J

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Andrew,

I had no idea that they would restrict seeds ... do they check letters? Since I have not ever mailed seeds, I had no idea how that would work.
Maybe someone down under had this tree fruiting age. They grow really fast.

Happy Gardening !!
P J, the Dirt Diva

Top Bottom