Permaculture Food Forest

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm a relatively new gardener and have recently come across the concept of permaculture.
We have a 1/2 acre block with the house at the front 3rd, lawn in the middle third, and LOTS of different established exotic fruit trees (around 20 years old) in the back 3rd of our property.
Underneath the canopy there is lots of shade, so much that not even grass likes to grow there (although we are having some success with Sir Walter at the moment). We get lots of water run off and this takes the top soil with it every time it rains. We have a huge Mexican Fern Tree that towers over the canopy and is home to various types of birdlife but it also shades out a lot of the fruit trees, I feel that the fruit trees don't get the sunlight that they need in order to grow and fruit to their potential.
My question is... Can I turn my orchard into a food forest if it's already established?

Cobbadiggabuddyblooo

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have sir Walter in and around my gardens too and it’s very hearty and should override any other variety over time that tries to encroach. Very resilient to all types of weather and hopefully once in place should hold the structure of your topsoil in place.
The orchard area as I like to call it that I have had a number of exotic fruits planted as well as apple and peach . I selectively sold off the established varieties I didn’t want being no more than 6 feet high and trained what I kept and replanted what I wanted using espalier techniques to save space and gain productivity and ease of picking.

Cobbadiggabuddyblooo

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Here you go Dragon Lady, a closer look at how I’ve managed to get 3 peach, 3 plum, 4 apple trees in an area 10m x 3m. The large peach tree under netting down the end with the chook pen underneath was already established When I bought the place. Same with the apple tree by the entrance. I’ve shaped that one in the shape of a T with a dwarf plum tucked in the corner. That’s taken 18mths to get to this stage.

Top Bottom