Pecan starting to flower/flowering after less than 5 years!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great news! Our Shoshonii (B type) pecan is flowering and it's less than 5 years old. I have read it can take anything from 8 to 12 years before a pecan flowers so I'm wrapped it hasn't taken that long.

Obviously, we still have to wait and see if it produces any nuts (when it comes down to the crunch) :) The Shoshonii variety is self fertile but it does benefit from being cross pollinated with another A type variety, therefore, I also planted another pecan called Western Schley - both these trees are supposed to be good producers... we'll see.

My plan is to keep the trees manageable probably under 7 or 8 metres and prune them like a big tree bush so I've kept the branches quite low on the trunks. I don't want them to get 40 metres tall and take over the whole yard plus I don't think my neighbours would be too happy because they are planted close to the boundary (although they have said they won't mind if a few nuts drop over their side of the fence).

Here's a pic of the pecan flower buds they look similar to a macadamia flower
pecan shoshonii B type flowering after 5 years.jpg

This is the Shoshonii pecan it's probably about 4 metres high.
Pecan 5 years old shoshonii B type starting to flower first time.jpg

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Are they similar to Walnuts? The bark looks the same. I've never eaten them...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Are they similar to Walnuts? The bark looks the same. I've never eaten them...
Yeah, I suppose they're a bit similar to a walnut. I've never had one fresh off a tree before but I do like them and they're pretty good to cook with.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Our first pecan nuts are coming along nicely and should be ready for harvest very soon!

This is the developing nuts on the tree about 2 months ago
pecan nut developing on tree.jpg

Here are the nuts now with the outer husk starting to open and show the nut :)
pecan nut on tree starting to open.jpg

I haven't tried one yet - will do soon!

Reactions: Letsgokate

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2014
SE Queensland, Australia
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well how were the pecans? How are the trees going?

Daley's has a special on Pecans buy 2 get 1 free at the moment.

Are Pecans hard to grow?

Crikey I don't want mine getting very big, we have enough big trees around here as it is. Can they be grown in pots?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Are Pecans hard to grow?
No, they're easy to grow and they actually like the subtropics. They stay dormant for a long time over winter and halfway into spring but then they grow like crazy!

I'm going to keep our pecans pruned back to a manageable size. Our first one is a self-fertile variety but we also planted another one nearby (type A) because they fruit better apparently with cross pollination.

Not sure about pot growing...

Mary Playford

Premium Member
GOLD
Oct 24, 2014
Elizabeth, Adelaide, South Australia.
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Great news! Our Shoshonii (B type) pecan is flowering and it's less than 5 years old. I have read it can take anything from 8 to 12 years before a pecan flowers so I'm wrapped it hasn't taken that long.

Obviously, we still have to wait and see if it produces any nuts (when it comes down to the crunch) :) The Shoshonii variety is self fertile but it does benefit from being cross pollinated with another A type variety, therefore, I also planted another pecan called Western Schley - both these trees are supposed to be good producers... we'll see.

My plan is to keep the trees manageable probably under 7 or 8 metres and prune them like a big tree bush so I've kept the branches quite low on the trunks. I don't want them to get 40 metres tall and take over the whole yard plus I don't think my neighbours would be too happy because they are planted close to the boundary (although they have said they won't mind if a few nuts drop over their side of the fence).

Here's a pic of the pecan flower buds they look similar to a macadamia flower
View attachment 1040
This is the Shoshonii pecan it's probably about 4 metres high.
View attachment 1041
There's a huge almond tree right next to my fence next door. I guess if I plant a pecan tree next to it, the cocky's can continue eating the almond and leave my pecan alone. I think its a great idea. I just planted an almond near it too for the same reason LOL

They are so expensive in the store.