Peanut Tree

Discussion in 'Subtropical Climate Only' started by Wedgetail, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    About 4 weeks ago We came across some people selling young Peanut Trees also known as Red Fruited Kurrajong I thought these would be a intersting addition to our food Forrest so we purchased 4 and are looking forward to them maturing as they are a nice looking tree and have the bonus of producing a edible nuts. These trees grow in the tropics and down into the subtropics Cheers Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They'll be nice to have growing, wedgetail.
    They were used as street trees in many tropical council areas but not so anymore.
    People went off their t!ts about the red fruit being poisonous and also teaching kids they can pick up any fruit and eat it!
    A bit like the poor old lillypilly.
    Can't have kids learning that fruit comes off trees!

3. Wedgetail

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi ClissAT happy birthday for today . I think the trees will add something different to our up and coming food forest I might get a few more and plant randomly through the bush as we chop out areas of Lantana I think it will be nice to go for a bush walk and be able to pick some fruit for a snack as you go. Dave

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matthew Duke

Matthew Duke Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    For some reason I was under the impression that peanuts were from a bush of some kind.

No - wait - just did a quick search and it turns out this is a tree nicknamed "peanut tree" despite having no relation to peanuts.

I love the English language

5. Wedgetail

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Matthew the tree is a Kurrajong with edible seeds that taste similar to peanuts I think thats a pretty good reason to call it a Peanut tree and you are correct about peanuts growing on a small bush type plant but they are produced underground. Cheers Dave:)