stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My first Passionfruit, there's about 5 that I can see. They're called Panama Red, a pretty common variety I think. I'm a little concerned that the local wildlife will get them before I do, bats, possums, birds?

shackers.net_images_photos_passionfruit10032014.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Possums will eat them but rarely do they devastate a crop of passionfruit (you might miss one or two). If the vine is near the house or a common area where you walk past or frequent possums may not even touch them at all hopefully - I don't think passionfruit are a real fav of possums but they do eat them.

Panama Red is a nice variety. Was the Panama Red a grafted plant? Because if it is make sure the vine doesn't grow any suckers from below the graft otherwise it can end up with the root stock taking over and then in the long term a vigorous vine with inferior fruit (if any). Also, if it's not a graft you can collect the seed and regrow - they're easy to strike.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I don't think it was grafted. The ones pictured above have now been eaten and were awesome. There's tonnes more on the vine aswell, they have been falling off and I just grab them when they fall off, I let them sit on the table for a week and they ripen up more. I never really was a fan of passionfruit because there was too many seeds, but when their homegrown I think you look past that and I've been getting in to them.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Locally, they sell passionfruits for $1 each! I think I have a panama red variety also the fruits are almost as big as oranges :shock: These guys are growing of a trellis close to our house (pretty much straight to the back garage door).

large passionfruits.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
gees they look healthy! ... mine are coming along.. seem to take ages to ripen, but I think i'll have an excess amount all in one go.

I saw.... $1.49 each at the local IGA. I wonder how much the farmer sold them for, they looked pretty second hand really.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
gees they look healthy! ... mine are coming along.. seem to take ages to ripen, but I think i'll have an excess amount all in one go.

$1.49!!! That's criminal for just one passionfruit... We freeze any excess pulp but they do last a long time on the kitchen bench.

I saw.... $1.49 each at the local IGA. I wonder how much the farmer sold them for, they looked pretty second hand really.

belveder

Premium Member
We had friends that used to make passion fruit butter out of theirs, i got so addicted to it

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is a yellow variety of passionfruit which has been growing and self-seeding in our garden for about 7 years! The plant is true to type from seed obviously and was probably dropped by a bird in the beginning. They taste better than the hybrid passionfruits shown a few posts above growing off our house - much better - actually really good, and are very hardy!

yellow passionfruit self seed on plate.jpg

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nice work. Panama Red grow beautifully. Mine was planted alongside the backyard shed about 3 years ago, and it has just taken over. This year's crop has been excellent, but a lot of mine were lost to a shrivelling disorder that one Yates rep thought was Woodiness and the plant needed to be taken down. But it has given us such great fruit I can't see myself doing that.

Reactions: DTK

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I planted 4 passionfruit along our front fence on top of the retaining wall. 2 died for some reason but 2 are going well. We found a passionfruit vine at our back fence a week or so ago with nice looking passionfruit on it just waiting for them to ripen. They are actually coming from the back neighbour but I am encouraging to grown on our side too :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This year's crop has been excellent, but a lot of mine were lost to a shrivelling disorder that one Yates rep thought was Woodiness and the plant needed to be taken down. But it has given us such great fruit I can't see myself doing that.
I often do the same because if a plant is producing plenty of fruit it doesn't really matter if some are lost to diseases or animals.

Passionfruit vines generally only last about 3 or 4 years, which is pretty good, but then I rejuvenate the stock.

Reactions: DTK

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've been getting quite a few passionfruit, I eat a few but I collect and give away a lot too.

The latest collection from the weekend, this shopping bag weighs around 10kg. According to the local IGA prices, this is about $60 worth!

passionfruit06072015.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
According to the local IGA prices, this is about $60 worth!
You bet Stevo - I've seen passionfruits at our local Woolies for 99c each!

What a great harvest... What we sometimes do (or the misses does) is freeze the pulp in ice block containers and then defrost them when needed or just pop them into a smoothie.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The taste of fresh fruit though can't have a price on it. The crop we got this year was our tastiest I have experienced ever from any source. All our home fruits have such aromas and tastes that are incomparable.

Top Bottom