Gardening Passion Fruit Soil

Rainman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
To Mark or anyone with personal experience:

I am getting ready to plant my first passion fruit plants (purple variety) and noticed in Marks video that it does not look as if he planted his passion fruit in raised beds but rather his native soil. I am a raised bed gardener but if passion fruit does well in “not perfect” native soils then I wouldn’t mind planting them in the ground. My soil is sandy with a mix of darker matter. Definitely very well draining but still holds in a nice ball if compressed in your hand.

Attachments

• E174BA8E-2E58-4FC4-96E3-1CD462DD0AC8.png
    E174BA8E-2E58-4FC4-96E3-1CD462DD0AC8.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 25

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have horribe, horrible soil, yet the passionfruit still thrives in it. My soil is mostly nutrient-deprived clay, but I've got multiple species of passionfruit, some that just came up on their own, probably because of animal poop. In my opi nion they are very hardy and do well in both rain and drought. Nowadays I like to hang my leaking hose near it as I've made "roof trellis" for it to grow over so I can grow plants underneath it in it's part shade.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
To Mark or anyone with personal experience:

I am getting ready to plant my first passion fruit plants (purple variety) and noticed in Marks video that it does not look as if he planted his passion fruit in raised beds but rather his native soil. I am a raised bed gardener but if passion fruit does well in “not perfect” native soils then I wouldn’t mind planting them in the ground. My soil is sandy with a mix of darker matter. Definitely very well draining but still holds in a nice ball if compressed in your hand.
Passion fruit vines (most of them) grow well in most soils. There are some varieties that are fickle but these are usually grafted into better rootstock if purchased at the nursery. I would go ahead and plant them in your native soil they should be fine.

Rainman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Passion fruit vines (most of them) grow well in most soils. There are some varieties that are fickle but these are usually grafted into better rootstock if purchased at the nursery. I would go ahead and plant them in your native soil they should be fine.

Thanks for answering my question Mark! I love your videos and you are an inspiration to us all. Happy harvests!

Top Bottom