Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here's a Panama Berry tree with our first ripe berry (photo somewhat staged because I picked the berry before taking the pic).
panama berry tree.jpg

I found the taste was like vanilla ice cream or maybe just vanilla but the flavour is quite complex and unexpected so I grabbed the label for a second look and it says the flavour of the berry is fairy floss crossed with strawberry - I suppose it does taste like fairy floss but I can't get strawberry... Overall, it's a nice berry.

panama berry flower native bee.jpg

The native bees are forever hovering around the flowers so there will never be any issue will pollination!

panama berry tree showing green berries growing.jpg

The berries look a little like small olives and hang individually rather than in clusters. Each Panama berry is about the size of a large blueberry except they're red.

Apparently, it does well in pots and can get up to 7 metres high but responds well to pruning to keep shape and under control for easy harvests.

I'm thinking it could make a rather interesting jam one day once the tree gets bigger. At the moment, it's only about 3 feet tall.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes Kate, you eat them just like a regular berry skin and all - Nina is addicted to them - I think they are pretty nice personally but they do taste like fairy floss and I'm not a huge fan of that flavour... still, it's a nice plant to have in the garden.

Give it plenty of water through summer as it can suffer in the heat!

Top Bottom