Orange Tree in memory of my late Father

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My Father passed a few weeks ago now and was a mad old greek in the Garden, transformed his little suburban block into his little sanctuary.
He will always be remembered for grabbing any naive visitors and dragging them off for a garden tour, always ending the same having a great time and a bucketload of fruit\cuttings and bits and bobs.
I thought it would be nice to take some of his wonderful fruit tree's he aways wanted me to have and plant them in my little orchard to remind me of him :)
Mum and I went through and picked out some lovely figs, and this wonderful orange tree he wanted me to have

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray sad time when the old boy passes you alway's think you have plenty of time then before you know it its to late . The tree will be a great memory evertime you smell the blossom or pick a piece of fruit. My regards to you and your family . Dave​

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray sad time when the old boy passes you alway's think you have plenty of time then before you know it its to late . The tree will be a great memory evertime you smell the blossom or pick a piece of fruit. My regards to you and your family . Dave​
Long 15 year battle with Parkinsons and he gave it one hell of a fight, his garden is what kept him going :)
Thanks

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Such a fantastic way to remember a family member.
I'll follow the transplant with interest.
I transplanted some of my mother's garden to my place but the change in climate and soil type was too much for many of the plants.
Even though I brought lots of soil up here from her place, in the end it wasn't enough when every season since has been extreme heat with drought.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Such a fantastic way to remember a family member.
I'll follow the transplant with interest.
I transplanted some of my mother's garden to my place but the change in climate and soil type was too much for many of the plants.
Even though I brought lots of soil up here from her place, in the end it wasn't enough when every season since has been extreme heat with drought.
Got home today and planted the tree around 4pm, sun was just going behind some large tree's, I have pruned it back alittle and prepared the soil so fingers crossed all goes well, I will put up some progress pics as we go, will pop the video up soon

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
little video of the Trees, new Orange is in :)

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My commiserations Ray. I agree with comments above - your tribute sounds just perfect. I hope my children have a similar desire to honour their father when my time comes. Best wishes, Dan

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Loved the tour mate. We live in Brisbane SW suburbs but miss most rain that Brisbane gets (in a rain shadow, apparently) so we relate to your water shortage. I garden using tank water.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My commiserations Ray. I agree with comments above - your tribute sounds just perfect. I hope my children have a similar desire to honour their father when my time comes. Best wishes, Dan
Thanks Dan
Its funny when I was young, I liked the garden but it was always a burden, or I would rather be somehwere else, these days I really enjoy it, and its amazing how many things I learnt off Dad (Even though I made out I didnt) haha
ALot of my plants are from Dad and I will be going down in a few weeks time to thin out a few more a lovely Fig in particular

Reactions: DTK

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Loved the tour mate. We live in Brisbane SW suburbs but miss most rain that Brisbane gets (in a rain shadow, apparently) so we relate to your water shortage. I garden using tank water.
2 weeks ago we bought in 50,000 litres lol it was a dry dry period, so found it humorous that it poured down :) at least everything is wet now and the tanks are full

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
2 weeks ago we bought in 50,000 litres lol it was a dry dry period, so found it humorous that it poured down :) at least everything is wet now and the tanks are full
I am so very careful with our water. When we bought our little acreage in 1997, we had town water plus tank water pipes and tanks fitted around the property. After I retired we decided to travel around Australia so during March to Jun this year we did just that. Sadly, when we were about 1/2 way around we received a message saying that a pipe had burst up the back of the property and no-one noticed that water had been spurting out for about a week. Needless to say, we immediately made arrangements to have it repaired. We arrived home to a bill in excess of $2000. We are currently seeking a rebate and have a plumber making changes to our system. Water is such a precious resource; I felt terrible.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
certainly is, and really bad timing but we have just noticed one of our 33000litre tanks has a split in it, got the tape out and have messaged a tank repair place fingers crossed we dont lose the entire contents

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
certainly is, and really bad timing but we have just noticed one of our 33000litre tanks has a split in it, got the tape out and have messaged a tank repair place fingers crossed we dont lose the entire contents
Crossing fingers and toes, mate

Last edited:

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
little video of the Trees, new Orange is in :)

Hi Ray. I recorded a video of me garden today and several photos with intention to post on here but seems they are too big. Can you please tell me how you uploaded your video Taaa, Dan

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray. I recorded a video of me garden today and several photos with intention to post on here but seems they are too big. Can you please tell me how you uploaded your video Taaa, Dan
I load mine to You Tube and use the following:
Copy the URL for the Video
Then select the little video icon in the message bar
once opened paste in the URL and click embed
Bham

Attachments

• Video.PNG
    Video.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 335
  • enter url.PNG
    enter url.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 363

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I load mine to You Tube and use the following:
Copy the URL for the Video
Then select the little video icon in the message bar
once opened paste in the URL and click embed
Bham

Thanks mate; I'll give that a go.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray, Thanks for your help with video loading. I need to work on my speach/enunciation and make it lighter too. Also, I think the video should be shorter if I am to hold people's attention . Apologies for hijacking your thread, especially since it was a tribute to your dad. I guess my only comeback would be I sure your Dad would be proud.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
no issue at all matey
look forward in seeing some of your stuff
I post what i feel like I dont edit or plan lol
:)

Top Bottom