One sheet of tin = new keyhole garden bed

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Still had some used tin laying around from the dodgy fence extensions that I've since fixed. Sick of looking at it so decided to get building. Very simple and cheap (est $20-25, guess around $50 if you needed to buy some 2nd hand tin off FB).

Materials
1 x sheet used colourbond corro (3.4m long)
1 x 100x100 post (1.5m long)
6 x 50x50 garden stakes (scored on clearance for $5 green shed)
40 tek screws

More pics to follow later in the weekend when it gets moved into its new home and filled.

Happy gardening

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks great!! Cool design
you can get this plastic black edge stuff from bunnings (I think Gorilla is the brand - red packaging) to put on edges if you’re at all concerned about sharp edges. I think it’s typically a auto material, but works well for tin and has metal clamps inside it to stay on.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks great!! Cool design
you can get this plastic black edge stuff from bunnings (I think Gorilla is the brand - red packaging) to put on edges if you’re at all concerned about sharp edges. I think it’s typically a auto material, but works well for tin and has metal clamps inside it to stay on.

I'm actually going to use an old hose that was leaking profusely in this instance. Hold on with some wire. Won't need to do the whole thing as it has a fence on 2 sides. Thank you for the recommendation though, I'll likely need in the future

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nice! I love the shape as well. What are you intending on growing in it? :D
Thanks Mandy, I have about 20 glass gem corn to be planted in a block and perhaps a pumpkin plant. It's going in next to the chook pen so if we can get something to climb chook pen be perfect

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Mandy, I have about 20 glass gem corn to be planted in a block and perhaps a pumpkin plant. It's going in next to the chook pen so if we can get something to climb chook pen be perfect
I've heard people grow beans up the corn itself as well. Not sure how it ended but.. maybe?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've heard people grow beans up the corn itself as well. Not sure how it ended but.. maybe?
Yeah the old 3 sisters method. Will be trying that in future for sure. Corn support the beans and pumpkin/squash covers the dirt to keep the weeds away and moisture in. I haven't tried growing corn before so looking to try it solo first before I add to it

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah the old 3 sisters method. Will be trying that in future for sure. Corn support the beans and pumpkin/squash covers the dirt to keep the weeds away and moisture in. I haven't tried growing corn before so looking to try it solo first before I add to it
Sounds great!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We have glass gem seedlings ready to plant, abs we will be planting some sweetcorn we found in a few weeks in an attempt to prevent too much cross pollination. Some sunflowers will make their way across the back as well.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have glass gem seedlings ready to plant, abs we will be planting some sweetcorn we found in a few weeks in an attempt to prevent too much cross pollination. Some sunflowers will make their way across the back as well.
Awesome!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
To be honest Mandy the wife has all sorts of stuff in there. I *think* there's some sunflowers, there's definitely another type of corn and some cucumbers we'll try get to climb the corn and there's some sort of flowers haha

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
To be honest Mandy the wife has all sorts of stuff in there. I *think* there's some sunflowers, there's definitely another type of corn and some cucumbers we'll try get to climb the corn and there's some sort of flowers haha
That sounds amazing! I've head a couple of times that people used the corn as climbers for beans, so that must work for cucumber too!
The flowers would be lovely too, a hit of colour between the food.

Top Bottom