Question One of our hens suddenly got skin scabby things. What should I do?

Nab

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
One of our hens started being shy all of a sudden, staying in the nesting box. Upon inspection we found these bumps on her face. So far we're thinking fungal infection but not sure. Please see photos below. What do y'all think? Do we need to do something urgently?
One of our hens suddenly got skin scabby things. What should I do?

One of our hens suddenly got skin scabby things. What should I do?

Heya @Nab ! I don't own chickens so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.
@Grandmother Goose , @KIGardening , @AndrewB , and others maybe have a clue?

We had chickens with similar yet not the same type of bumps, but they would quite obviously be scabs over time - or show bleeding. They would often happen when the chooks bullied one another.

I would say it is the begin phase of Fowl Pox. It is a common illness chickens can contract and there are vaccines available. I would recommend you to see a vet for treatment and discuss your chicken coup situation to avoid spread of this to other chickens in the flock.

Thank you! Asking some other chicken people we got a similar assessment!

It's gonna be tough isolating atm for us right now but I think in the long run we'll have to set up an isolation coop or something similar.

Depending on the amount of chickens affected, isolating the "healthy" ones might be easier.

I'm not sure about the recovery time, but second hand you can often get fairly cheap temporary coops. Even an old large dog pen might work, for a short time.

Back
Top Bottom