Not getting notification email on all watched threads

Discussion in 'Announcements, Rules, Admin Questions' started by Letsgokate, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mark I am finding I am not getting notified of all posts that are posted on a watched topic.

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'll have a look and research into the issue Kate - thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've put a watch on some of the forums now too as I was missing out on some interesting topics:)

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah I think I know why... it could be my server settings limiting how many emails it sends to people so SSC doesn't get flagged as a spammer.

Are you getting some notifications?

I need to work more on this problem and will get to the bottom of it soon.

BTW, I still have not forgotten about your suggestion to enable subscription notifications for when I release a new article on my blog. I am getting closer to a solution hopefully now that I have moved to a new system!

5. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah I am getting some, just not all.

6. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Speaking of emails. As an idea for reminding past members and possibly creating more activity, you can create a single html page newsletter outlining the latest blog or forum topics of interest, that's inserted in to an email, and it's sent to all registered users once a month. Something to think about anyway. Jazz it up with a couple photos, couple of links etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Do you think most people would be ok with a monthly newsletter from the forum?

I like the idea and I suppose it can't hurt.

Coincidentally, I just finished setting up my new newsletter subscription page/module today for my blog it took a little research to get it going. I'm in the process of creating the first newsletter to be sent out since before Xmas (when my blog makeover started). Subscription newsletters for blogs can really be helpful and I guess it would be the same for forums too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    ahhh, maybe you could just put every forum member on the newsletter list and they can unsubscribe if they don't want it? (if the newsletter contained forum topics etc)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I couldn't put them on my blog newsletter list because I wouldn't feel right about it but I could incorporate a SSC newsletter and subscribe all our members than let them unsubscribe. I just need to research and see if I can find a way to create a newsletter with these features inbuilt.

10. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Some more feedback. Have not had all email notifications of posts on the following topics. Daley's pear trees, 100% Organic Spelt Recipe, What size rainwater tank, Macro discussions and photos. Have to say it's a bit of a pain as when I discover there are new posts I then have a lot of catching up reading to do, and if I want to comment on something someone has sent it can be well after the fact and sometimes not worth commenting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    No worries - thanks for letting me know! Hopefully, will have a resolution soon. (fingers crossed)

12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kate, I suppose you've checked your spam folders to ensure some notification emails aren't getting flagged as spam?

13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I turned my email notifications off, I try to reduce my emails, and just visit the site and look for the red "Alerts".

and I keep an eye on the "new topics" box.

but I always miss something :blush:

so, I wouldn't know if the email notifications are working or not.

14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Just checking... are you positive you checked the top box to receive emails when watching a thread?

watched thread box.jpg

15. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo, could you do me a favour and watch a few threads to see if it happens to you please?

I seem to be getting my emails so far but I've only just started watching several threads because I generally go through everything that is highlighted as I'm obviously on the forum a lot anyway so I see everything without the need to watch.

16. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yep, not going into spam.

And I have everything ticked in the links Stevo gave. I don't need to click on watch a topic as it automatically does that when I make a comment as per my preferences. And if that wasn't the case I then wouldn't get any email notifications, on a post but I do get some. Like some of this post/topic but I haven't received email notifications since yesterday at 9pm.

I didn't get an email notification on your last post on the topic I started about what is eating my washington navel, I got the one before from Ash but not yours. And the last one from Ash on my post what tree is that. So again I point out I get some, so must have get email notifications ticked but not all.

I have gone into watched threads and found about half a dozen or more than have new posts but I hadn't received email notifications.

18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I know there's inbuilt anti-spamming which prevents a member of a watched thread from being notified via email more than once until the member has physically returned to that watched thread. That is, a member will not be notified by email for each reply to that thread because it could get rather annoying and then risk being seen as spam by email clients such as GMail and in turn have the server banned by Google as a spam sender.

I'm yet unable to find out if there is a limit on how many email notifications the system will send out according to how many threads are being watched. That is, I'm not sure if a member watching 10 threads (for example) will get 10 emails if they all get reply posts.

So far, I seem to be getting my notifications via email without any issues now that I have started watching several threads but I'll keep testing and seeing if there are any settings I can adjust in the backend to improve it.

19. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Maybe that is the issue. I don't always return to the watched thread since the email contains the post that has been posted. So if I have no need to comment I don't go to the thread online. Other forums I am on, just say a message has been posted on a watched thread so then you have to go to the thread/post online to actually read the message. Often I don't go and check. I actually prefer the way it is done on your site but the negative could be you don't get all notifications. I dont always have time to go online to read the messages, email is quicker. Because you get some email notifications you then assume you have received all notifications so don't go online to check.

20. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ahh yes... I can actually make it so the full message is NOT included in the email and this would MAKE people return to the forum to see what the message says. Forum operators employ this tactic to get more traffic back to the website but I do think it's a nice balance to include the message in the email for practical reasons to help the member rather than be always about "pull factors" for the forum - what do you think?