No-Dig gardening

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So although I think I have solved the riddle of the horrible soil at my place, it has taken a great toll on my failing body so I made the decision to go no-dig.

My idea is to set up bath tubs on concrete house blocks ontop of existing garden beds so they end up at my waist height so no bending. I would fill the tub with cane mulch then top up with the best soil from the beds below, then make compost & add as needed. I will still need to surround the tub with a bird mesh fence to stop cluckles attacking!

Below are a few snaps of the first tub in place. I have been moving a heap of garden plants to a new location in readiness for a new carport. These plants have not had sun on them & the soil is obviously bought in due to being a bit red coloured & very nice soil generally.

So I filled the tub with partly rotted sugarcane mulch then added 2 barrow loads of the lovely soil I found in the brom bed beside the old carport.

I added a small amount of my usual fertilizer recipe plus 2 buckets of weed tea, 2 buckets of sheep manure tea & 2 buckets of rotted sheep manure slurry. I cultivated that through into the very top of the mulch layer to bring the mulch up into the soil a bit & covered with shade cloth. In a weeks time I think it will be ready to plant.

I'm going to stuff it with vegie plants which will grow to hang over the sides. The Cluckles supervised & inspected my work at every stage!

No Dig bed progress 1.jpg No Dig bed progress 2.jpg Next No Dig bed.jpg
Tomorrow the next tub will go right where Julian white chook is grazing in the right hand photo. There is just enough room to squeeze in a tub without loosing that fantastic still producing broccolini plant that Julian is eating from. So there will be 2 tubs, one on either side of this path between these 2 beds.

Here's one for fun! After work was finished today & I was taking these photos, Annabel got nervous at the sound of the camera while she was dust bathing. Suddenly she stood up & made like a rooster! That yellow colouration in her comb is just the sun shining through.
Annabel looking like a rooster!.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looking great!

Where did you get the tubs from?

What drainage have you got in the bottom of the tubs ie the plug holes to let excess water out?

Hens are so inquisitive :)

You're going to love the less bend over gardening. I have both waist high a knee high beds and the ones I prefer most are the waist high ones unsurprisingly.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mark I have been so busy the last 2days I forgot to get a new photo of the planted out tub with chook proof bird net fence. I'll try again tomorrow!:sawwood:

ETA Here are the promised photos.

no-dig tub planted 1.jpg no-dig tub planted 2.jpg no-dig tub planted 3.jpg
The first tub has no drain pipe so the hole is quite big. I just put some old window fly screen across the hole & plopped on a heap of rotted cane mulch. I have an old enamel vegie crisper out of a very old fridge under the hole to collect the run-off which should be full of fertile goodness which I'll pour onto other plants. I didn't put anything special in the bottom for drainage just filled the whole tub with partly rotted cane mulch. That's how the no-dig man did my Mother's waist high no-dig garden at her old folks home unit. Every year I have the downright back breaking job of shovelling it all out, replacing new cane mulch to fill it, then shovelling all that lovely soil back in on top to make a full bed. I guess I'll have to do similar in these bath tub beds.

I already have many tubs in various states of repair as I used to have 2 troughs per paddock for the horses. Now I make them walk down to the dams to exercise their bare feet! :barefoot: So I still have several tubs to use before I have to look for more. But I generally find them either on gumtree or at the recycle station at the tip or at the demolition timber yard. I try to only get the light ones now. Probably a bit cheaper made but suits my back a lot better & I really don't need deeper beds. I try to make the top price $40 for a damaged tub.

I have no illusions that the cluckles won't help themselves if possible & as is already obvious in the previous photos, they have already made themselves at home in the new bed!

I had intentions to leave it settle a while but I found a heap of volunteer seedlings in the granny flat vegie garden yesterday arvo while watering over there. Since the tenants are not interested in that garden, I decided those seedlings would look fantastic in my new bed. :p

So I found iceberg lettuce, Italian parsley & cherry tomato volunteer seedlings. Then went through my almost out of date organic open pollinated seed packs & put in the last few seeds of several things that should grow here now. Purple beans, yellow zucchini, coloured carrots, purple carrots, various beetroot varieties & coloured capsicum. If they don't come up its no biggie.

Then I used tread-in electric fence posts to hold up some knitted bird netting around the tub. Chuckies can still get under & around the base of the tub, just can't fly up into it now. They have so much in the rest of the garden. I only have 2 other beds fenced off from them now.

In a few days I'll start another no-dig tub right across the path from this one.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Your bathtub raised garden beds look awesome @ClissAT

Maybe you won't have to empty them out each year? See how it goes and improve the medium from the top just like an in ground raised bed...

No way the chooks will get to the seedlings though that netting they must feel disappointed :D

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Update on the no-dig bath tub garden. I'm really chuffed at actually producing plants that aren't going yellow or looking otherwise sickly or stunted! :D

Bath Tub garden.jpg

I haven't actually got around to making the others yet. There is nothing stopping me except a great long list of more pressing farm tasks to do! :sawwood::feedchooks:

Marisa

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Update on the no-dig bath tub garden. I'm really chuffed at actually producing plants that aren't going yellow or looking otherwise sickly or stunted! :D

View attachment 2389

I haven't actually got around to making the others yet. There is nothing stopping me except a great long list of more pressing farm tasks to do! :sawwood::feedchooks:
Great use of resources. I absolutely love reusing things especially for something they were not intended for. My kids all think I'm a hoarder because I save toilet paper roles...but they make excellent started pots for seeds. I'm sure I paid for them so I get my monies worth!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Bath Tub garden No2.jpg

This is my second bath tub bed now looking really good & just ready to begin producing.
Beans bottom left with 4 types of beetroot & 3 rows of carrots in the middle of the bed with a yellow zucchini bottom right.
Far side of this new bed on left are a few rainbow chard, then moving along the bed to right are 2 rock melons, 2 types of water melon & a space on the right end where there was supposed to be a capsicum which never grew.
The vines will be trained right out of the bed as soon as they send a runner to get the competition for space off the bed. Same goes for the zucchini.

You can see the first tub in the background, now mostly producing chook food. The tomato vine is still in full production.
Inbetween are several old broccoli bushes producing chook food leaves.
Soon, after the grubs have eaten too many leaves I'll pull the stems for horse food.
These tough stems are excellent for helping the horses chip their molars back into shape again. Like eating soft branches.

Soon that space between the tubs will be the next corn bed.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Love your tubs!

How do your rockmelons usually go at this time of year? I have a hard time keeping the vines free from powdery mildew... when does the fruit usually develop for picking?

Top Bottom