New asparagus bed

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
My asparagus are still mostly green. Wondering if I should cut them down to ground level now? Thoughts?

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
My asparagus are still mostly green. Wondering if I should cut them down to ground level now? Thoughts?
Normally you leave the ferns at least until they yellow off so they get as much energy for the next growing season.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
But is there a limit to how late we can do that? We are now in July so winter only has two months at best here in SW Brisbane.

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
But is there a limit to how late we can do that? We are now in July so winter only has two months at best here in SW Brisbane.
If you need to cut them down and top dress with composted manure then do it. The wether is a bit off everywhere I'm in tassie the middle of winter and I have spears coming up now not that I'm complaining but they don't normally start for another 6 to 8 weeks.

Davidwood1983

Premium Member
GOLD
I’ve still got a few thin green ferns coming up. Seems to be from the colossal type seeds I planted this year rather than the crowns. I’m sure they will die off now I’ve cleared the insulating dead ferns.
Things are a bit strange this year. I’ve got chilli seedlings coming up and plants still producing. And capsicum too.
As to planting over the asparagus bed I have heard about mushrooms being possible in winter by some method. I need to find out more but if it’s true that solves everything!

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
I’ve still got a few thin green ferns coming up. Seems to be from the colossal type seeds I planted this year rather than the crowns. I’m sure they will die off now I’ve cleared the insulating dead ferns.
Things are a bit strange this year. I’ve got chilli seedlings coming up and plants still producing. And capsicum too.
As to planting over the asparagus bed I have heard about mushrooms being possible in winter by some method. I need to find out more but if it’s true that solves everything!
Yes you could put oyster mushrooms in 100mm of cane mulch mix some grain spore in keep it moist wait maybe 6 to 8 weeks and then beat the slugs and snails to them lol

Davidwood1983

Premium Member
GOLD
Why didn’t I know this before!? Perfect match. I prefer the ****ake but oyster the second favourite! S*itakeseems to be censored but you know what I mean

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Why didn’t I know this before!? Perfect match. I prefer the ****ake but oyster the second favourite! S*itakeseems to be censored but you know what I mean
We've got to keep the forum clean after all! All agegroups can enter this forum and we'd rather show at least a little bit of a good example ;)

Top Bottom