Native Bee Hive split completed

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well finally after all the work put into the Euro bee's, the little native hive was in need of alittle love, it has been putting on some good weight over the last couple years and it was finally time to split the hive after buying the new empty ones :)
about an hour ago, went out got into the old hive split it open, looked awesome inside, a nice clean split plenty of brood and pollen and honey, popped the a new top on the old bottom, new bottom on the old top and tapped them up and way we went
Will get a couple of pics soon but very happy little chappy.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Guy's are going from strength to strength
2 days after the split and they are working hard, both hives look amazing

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Love how they have rounded off the Wax\Propolis entry to their hive only a week after the split, these 2 hives are going gangbusters, could watch them for hours, they are loving all the flowers around the property

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That is amazing. I've got a native bee hive. It self started under a plastic rubbish bin I used for gardening. It was upside-down because of a severe tropical low and I didn't want it filling with water. (We got 435mm of rain in 3 days) I lifted it up after the storm and the bees had started a hive so I left it upside down. That was in 2013 from memory so many years ago now.

It has a swarm at least once if not twice a year and since I moved it into my permanent home last year it recently swarmed again. I think I would like to split it or at least have a new hive ready for when it swarms again.

It is in a good place but it will need to be moved slightly as I do the floor where it sits and I want to replace to Styrofoam base as that was meant to be temporary, it's original base was right on the dirt and I used the Styrofoam when we lifted it.

Attachments

• 20230210_133852.jpg
    20230210_133852.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230210_133904.jpg
    20230210_133904.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 63

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
well after just 16 days both split hives are going gangbusters, lots of action in and around both hives and after 3 days of 38degree's both hives are really really good :)

nayday

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Well finally after all the work put into the Euro bee's, the little native hive was in need of alittle love, it has been putting on some good weight over the last couple years and it was finally time to split the hive after buying the new empty ones :)
about an hour ago, went out got into the old hive split it open, looked awesome inside, a nice clean split plenty of brood and pollen and honey, popped the a new top on the old bottom, new bottom on the old top and tapped them up and way we went
Will get a couple of pics soon but very happy little chappy.
Good job! I dont have luck with splits...we just let them swarm and catch the swarm! 😁

Top Bottom