My raised bed adventure - Hugelkultur inspired

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This bed has supported hundreds of cherry tom's this season, so happy with how it's produced for us and ignited our garden journey after some non-starts

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ah snap here I go again!

Ute has been moved on to a new owner, but somebody hasn't told Bertie they are a family car!

(Thats 6 x pieces of tin, 6 x 3.6m capping pieces, 4 3m 100x100mm posts and 3 2.4m 100x100 edging haha)

Posts cut to length and a few sides zipped up.

One finished, bar oiling (to be done in situ) - another to go (noting this will be recessed inground to the corner edging so won't look crap - saves $20 a bed by getting 3 pieces out of edging, rather than 2)

Annoyingly these will sit in the shed for a few weeks while we clear the area where they will go - but they will be ready at least.

Measurements are 3630mm long, 1350mm wide and 1025mm high (about 825mm high once dug in)

These will be replacing these poxy Merino beds from Bunnings (and my keyhole as well unfortunately) - no more digging grass every season

Last years garlic in poxy beds

Last edited:

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha, projects never end, huh? 😂

That looks real good! I bet the beds being raised a bit higher will be much nicer on the back. It looks really well made, I daresay it looks professional even :D

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Haha, projects never end, huh? 😂

That looks real good! I bet the beds being raised a bit higher will be much nicer on the back. It looks really well made, I daresay it looks professional even :D

Definitely better on the back and knee, after filling of course haha. This is #4 & #5 in this style so getting them pretty downpat. I would buy birdies but I am happy to save the extra and have them all match, we won't be here long enough to warrant the birdies. Maybe at next joint

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
How do you plan to manage the grass growing on the outside of your planters?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think he's been digging out out manually until now @Alpenrose . My guess is that the bed is made to size so that there's not an "awkward gap" between bed and lawn, making so that he can just mow around/against them.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
How do you plan to manage the grass growing on the outside of your planters?

I think he's been digging out out manually until now @Alpenrose . My guess is that the bed is made to size so that there's not an "awkward gap" between bed and lawn, making so that he can just mow around/against them.

Bingo Mandy, will be fair game for the whipper snipper/mower. The grass won't have a hope in hell coming up through these raised beds. The sleepers will be removed etc. All will become clear soon I promise

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Another step closer, really need to get a wriggle on before the inevitable heatwave when mother nature works out she shouldn't still be snowing in November

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Re: American timber prices. Our prices went out of control on wood this spring (on all supplies also). Have a DSIL in the construction business and he tells me that our lumber prices which used to be over the top, but they have now come down. Today a 2 X4 that is 6ft long will be about $4.00 for the good quality pine last spring it was $11. However, today a 2x4 8ft cedar would be $21.00 Plywood was $100/sheet last summer it is now $45. Any wood product that has glue is going to be more expensive. Hopefully, those wood prices will be coming down for you this summer! He tells me that he will be starting on a Kitchen re-model this in January and that job will cost $225,000!
Hoping prices will come down for you soon!

Last edited:

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks really good! Professional even.
I hope the soil isn't frozen up to make digging them in too hard.

Love the little side look of the play area for the kids. Still standing I see :D

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
What goes under the beds?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What goes under the beds?

So existing soil. Then cardboard/newspapers. Some old bricks after that. Some old sleepers. A palm tree that's annoying me. Then I'll fill with my usual coarse bush mulch till 2/3. Then top with veggie mix. The grass never makes it through that, so not propping with weed mat or anything.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Im absolutely wrecked after today. 4m³ shovelled today in 33° heat - off to pick soil up tomorrow but doubt I will be in any shape to finish these off. Also for anyone wondering how I get soil/mulch in have included my ramp solution - no way am I shovelling at both ends! Will be filled by this weekend just in time for the chilli/capsicum seedlings needing to be planted out. Also, have a small trellis coming for these (nowhere near trelzilla level).

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gosh, quite the back breaker I bet! But it looks absolutely lovely, and I bet you'll have much joy from it come the future. It's really all taking shape :D

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
One down (bar the shadecloth, seedlings and mulch of course)

received-698671335019421.jpg

Top Bottom