My raised bed adventure - Hugelkultur inspired

thegoatpen

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Josh, absolutely love your build and probably gonna pinch your idea for the wooden tops.

PVC piping will break down over time when exposed to sunlight. Paint them in a water based exterior paint to protect them, otherwise they get very brittle stuck outside

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey Josh, absolutely love your build and probably gonna pinch your idea for the wooden tops.

PVC piping will break down over time when exposed to sunlight. Paint them in a water based exterior paint to protect them, otherwise they get very brittle stuck outside

Hi TGP, the PVC I've used is communication/data conduit and has been UV stabilised and suitable for outdoor (uncovered) use. Once the cloth goes on it will be extra layer of UV protection. If it starts to discolour, I'll rotate the pipe and give them a coat as you suggest. Thanks

Threw you a sub as well - my little boy loves goats!

thegoatpen

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'll rotate the pipe and give them a coat
I work in IT and in my experience the outdoor UV stabilised PVC doesn't work the way it should, I used to get a can of clear plastidip and give the PVC a light dusting in that, otherwise even the "UV protective" stuff only lasted 12-18 months. It's all junk these days unfortunately.

Threw you a sub as well - my little boy loves goats!
Oh, thank you. Hopefully you like the content.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Zipped this puppy up with leftovers from the original beds I built and some second hand tin.

Will need to buy some edging to keep the kids fingers intact and 1 capping piece but bloody good value otherwise.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Zipped this puppy up with leftovers from the original beds I built and some second hand tin.

Will need to buy some edging to keep the kids fingers intact and 1 capping piece but bloody good value otherwise.

Fully intended on filling the bottom half of this bed with mulch (mountain instead of bush this time, bigger chunks), but I had a slab that needed removing for a new 9 x 1 - 1.5m bed I'm planning. Cue purchase of a jackhammer. Not going to fit much mulch in here before soil now! Probably need to change the thread title now "How not to do Hügelkultur"

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Fully intended on filling the bottom half of this bed with mulch (mountain instead of bush this time, bigger chunks), but I had a slab that needed removing for a new 9 x 1 - 1.5m bed I'm planning. Cue purchase of a jackhammer. Not going to fit much mulch in here before soil now! Probably need to change the thread title now "How not to do Hügelkultur"

Oh gosh!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looking a bit more normal now some mulch fill has been added. You certainly wouldn't guess there was approximately 1600-1700kg of concrete stashed in the bottom that's for sure.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Finished filling and starting sowing today.

Little stakes are where I've planted tongue of fire bush beans and then some radishes in between those. I will mulch tomorrow when we work out what's going up the other end.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Finished filling and starting sowing today.

Little stakes are where I've planted tongue of fire bush beans and then some radishes in between those. I will mulch tomorrow when we work out what's going up the other end.

Looks good! :D
I had to google the name of your beans - I've never seen any like that before! Once they grow, share what they taste like :D

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks good! :D
I had to google the name of your beans - I've never seen any like that before! Once they grow, share what they taste like :D
Funny story that. James Prigioni has been banging on how good his dragon tongue beans were so when I was ordering my spring seed I saw the colour of the pod and tongue and just assumed they were the ones haha. Whilst they are in same family not same bean. I look forward to trying them though.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I never get sick of the versatility of these raised beds - Roma's currently going nuts. So much so I'm glad there's a high side to pick from if they keep going at this pace.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I never get sick of the versatility of these raised beds - Roma's currently going nuts. So much so I'm glad there's a high side to pick from if they keep going at this pace.

What do you think you're gonna be using those tomatoes for?
Your plants look amazing and healthy! I love that you are growing companion plants with it as well, get all the use out of the bed!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What do you think you're gonna be using those tomatoes for?
Your plants look amazing and healthy! I love that you are growing companion plants with it as well, get all the use out of the bed!

The Roma's specifically will be primarily for sauce. The cherry tom's on the big trellis will be frozen whole (we go through a lot of them) and then the heirloom varieties will be slicers or dehydrated etc. I want to try canning as well

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The Roma's specifically will be primarily for sauce. The cherry tom's on the big trellis will be frozen whole (we go through a lot of them) and then the heirloom varieties will be slicers or dehydrated etc. I want to try canning as well
Sounds amazing!

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Thank you so much for the story and the pictures, they have given me hope!
Question: What d'ya think about this--DH's brother died six years ago and left a wonderful large wood shed filled with cut logs--perfect size for our Birdie's which I hope to have up in April 2022. The logs are stacked behind a small cabin he built. His wife and son have not been back for six years and have said they will never return to use the place. I was just wondering. . . ;-)

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you so much for the story and the pictures, they have given me hope!
Question: What d'ya think about this--DH's brother died six years ago and left a wonderful large wood shed filled with cut logs--perfect size for our Birdie's which I hope to have up in April 2022. The logs are stacked behind a small cabin he built. His wife and son have not been back for six years and have said they will never return to use the place. I was just wondering. . . ;-)
Sounds like a lovely way to repurpose to me!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Over 100 tom's in this bed (stopped counting). Just seemingly exploded. Tons of flowers as well

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That looks absolutely amazing! I am glad to see it really worked out for you! :D
I don't see the onions anymore though, did they not make it?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That looks absolutely amazing! I am glad to see it really worked out for you! :D
I don't see the onions anymore though, did they not make it?

Very observant Mandy! Onions have all been harvested - you can see a few (and also my protein shake bottle haha) on the wood in the bottom left that I missed. They were small but they are very potent. Best we have done so some faith restored at least - bigger and better next season!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Very observant Mandy! Onions have all been harvested - you can see a few (and also my protein shake bottle haha) on the wood in the bottom left that I missed. They were small but they are very potent. Best we have done so some faith restored at least - bigger and better next season!
Sounds great! Would love to see the growth of the new seasons as well! Greatly enjoyed this one :D

Top Bottom